Let me see the junk in your trunk!

I currently teach a kids group at our church for children between the ages of 1st-5th grade on Wednesday evenings. About a month ago we were playing the game telephone. I was trying to make the age old point about gossip. That most times, by the time it gets back to you it’s not what started and it’s always taken way out of context. My husband started the phrase, “You’re momma wears combat boots.” Of course the phrase seemed very innocent, and by the time a dozen kids got the message I think it turned from, “your mom has poop” a few times, to “She has boobs.” The exercise made my point.

Proverbs 11:13 says, “A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy man keeps a secret.” and 1 Timothy 5:13 says, “Besides, they get into the habit of being idle and going about from house to house. And not only do they become idlers, but also gossips and busybodies, saying things they ought not to.”

It’s sad today but, is oh so true, that one of the top five reasons people don’t go to church regularly and get involved is because of the other churchgoers. I would say that is just an excuse, but it is a legitimate annoyance. It’s all too often that churches become their own circles of inner cliques and gab sessions. I make it a point if there is something I’m up too, that I think our pastors would like to know or would eventually get around the church, I tell them first. That way if somehow the rumor mill gets going they’ve heard it from me, and are not surprised when it comes to them blown out of proportion.

Luke 6:42 says, “How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.”

We must start looking at ourselves if we want to see revival in the church. We must stop looking at our brothers and sisters in the Lord with judgmental attitudes but begin to pray for them if you see issue in their lives. I ask you which one is going to work to help the church, praying for the person or running your mouth about them. Running your mouth sows seed of strife and division. You will reap what you sow. I believe choosing to pray when you really want to talk about them is showing love. We must guard our mouths if we want to see revival break forth. We will have to give an account one day for every idle word we speak (Matt 12:36).

I’ve been in many a situation when I have chosen to say something, and I’ve chosen to remain silent. It’s a choice. It’s not one where you ever perfect, but one you constantly have to make. I encourage all of you to think about that the next time a good tidbit comes your way. Choose to sow seeds of life to your brothers and sisters in the Lord. Choose to bless them. Choose to love them no matter what their doing. I leave you with the age old words of Thumper from Bambi, “If you can’t say anything nice. Don’t say anything at all.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!