Falling Alseep While Swimming Is Not A Good Idea

When I was little I was on a swim team for a season. My stroke was the back stroke. I couldn’t have been more than seven years old. But, I remember that we had to be timed in that year at going a certain distance. I don’t remember much about it except doing my back stroke and then hearing my father. He was yelling at me. It startled me at first. As I opened my eyes I could see him yelling through the water. I had fallen asleep while swimming. It’s not something I would recommend.

All too often in our Christian walk we can do the exact same thing. We can get caught up in doing the exact same motions for so long that we find ourselves getting so comfortable that we fall asleep. The Bible warns us of falling asleep in our Christian walk.

In Matthew 25:1 [ The Story of the Virgins ] "God's kingdom is like ten young virgins who took oil lamps and went out to greet the bridegroom. Five were silly and five were smart. The silly virgins took lamps, but no extra oil. The smart virgins took jars of oil to feed their lamps. The bridegroom didn't show up when they expected him, and they all fell asleep.” This story goes on to say how the five missed it when their bridegroom came and the other five were ready. Because they were not ready and lackadaisical they missed what God or the bridegroom was doing.

1 Corinthians 15:18 says, “Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost.”1 Thessalonians 5:6 says, “So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be alert and self-controlled.”

We cannot continue to move forward in God and be asleep while swimming. There are times in life that God may have you in a season may feel you’re not moving very quickly, but you’re still moving. You must move forward. You must wake up from your slumber. You must embrace each day and all that God has for you. Sometimes it’s very easy to just be so hurt and weary in life that you can choose to go to sleep for shear exhaustion.

Matthew 11:28 says "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”

Some of you desperately are crying out to God for that rest. God will give you that time of refreshing that you need. But when it’s over put your shoes on and keep running. Push forward to what God is doing. The banner that is instilled in you must go on. There are people out there in the world that need the message that God has in your heart.

Can you hear your Father calling at you from the edge of the pool? He’s yelling at you, pleading that you hear Him. He doesn’t want you to drown. He doesn’t want you to go out, but he wants you to come up. I can hear Him, He’s saying, “Wake up People! I love you! Do not loose heart! Live your lives extraordinarily for Jesus. Press on and take hold of what I have already accomplished in your lives. We have a world to tell that, Jesus is alive!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!