Shaking means, It's Harvest Time!

As a kid growing up in Ohio, I grew up with an apple orchard not far from my house. Having an apple orchard around that region was common for we all knew that was where “Johnny Appleseed” once labored. Who surprisingly most people do not know, is that he did more than just plant apple trees, he was a missionary. Every year at this apple orchard, they would have an apple festival. Because I knew the owner’s, for two years I worked at this apple festival. What did I do you ask? Well I dressed up in a giant foam apple costume and got to dance around as I shake people’s hands. You would think dressing up like a giant fruit of a loom character as a young girl in high school among my peers would be traumatic, but it was a fun day job. I have always loved harvest time. Being able to see a harvest come in, and know all the labor and toil was worth it is a beautiful site.

Jeff Ferguson (Voice of Freedom Ministries) taught an excellent message at Freedom Life last week about God shaking the church, and I have been thinking a lot about that message as it relates to apple trees. God is taking the church at large through a season of time where it feels as if we have all been shaken. I can speak personally, where I feel that this year has been some of the best times so far and some of my hardest. I believe that there is a shaking going on the church at large.

Why do people shake apple trees? Well, most of the time it is because they want the fruit that is on those trees. Did you know that is how you know if an apple is ripe or not. If it comes off the tree easily then it is ripe. Yes, sometimes rotten ones are in there too, but if a tree is shaken that means it is being harvested. Yup, both the good and bad are harvested together.

As a believer, we are like trees and we have fruit. Galatians 5:22 (NIV)
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, and self control.” The Bible says in Matthew 7:16 (NIV) “By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles?” Meaning if you are a good tree in the kingdom, you will produce good fruit and if you are not so good, your fruit may stink.

I believe that we are in a shaking season in the church as a whole. I believe many are growing weary in that shaking, but cheer up. When it is shaking time . . . That means harvest time is here.Galatians 6:9 (NIV) says, “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.”

God is going to look at your fruit, and be able to tell if you are ready for the next season or not. What will your fruit tell Him? Is it rotten, or is it full of life? Matthew 29-30 says" 'No,' he answered, 'because while you are pulling the weeds, you may root up the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.' "

Be encouraged today. God knows what you have been doing behind the scenes that no one else knows. God has seen your tears and He knows your heart. Be encouraged that he will bring you a harvest for which you have labored. Be encouraged today because harvest is happening sooner than you realize.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!