Don't drink spoiled milk!

When I was in college I was dating a gentleman that lived right beside me in the dorms. One night I’d gone and purchased several single serve chocolate milks and left them in his refrigerator. The next day I was back in his dorm and suddenly I had the biggest urge for chocolate milk. So I opened the refrigerator and grabbed the first one I saw. Knowing I had just purchased three the night before I didn’t question opening up the small carton. A doubt never crossed my mind as I fixed the cardboard spout to my lips and expected a cool chocolaty refreshing drink. Instead, I got a mouthful of a taste that is beyond description. If foul death could be contained in a small single serving cardboard container I had just tasted it. Sour chocolate milk filled my mouth. I gagged, and ran to the restroom to spit it out. Quickly I searched for a cup to fill with water. When finally I could get the taste out of my mouth, I was able to laugh at this experience. The gentleman had several single serve chocolate milks in his fridge and obviously I hadn’t grabbed the one of the ones I’d purchased hours before.

I began thinking about this story not long ago and how it relates to a lifestyle of faith. There are many people including myself who get very eager to do the things that God wants them to do. Sometimes if one isn’t careful they can become like a runner at a starting line. Eagerness is a great thing, but if one isn’t careful it can cloud ones hearing and vision from the Lord. Often times they step out in what they think sounds like a faith step, when really it’s not. You have to be led by God in order to have great victories in God. What am I trying to say? It would be stupid for me to go outside and find the closest pond and think I’m going to walk on the water. Beside the fact and alligator would probably come out and try to bite me, I’m going to get wet. However if God says to me, “Go walk on the water and you’re not going to get wet.” Then that’s an entirely different matter. I’m being led to do what the Holy Spirit wants me to do. Romans 8:14 Says, “because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.”

John 10:4 says, “And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice.” As God’s children, his sons and daughters, we must know His voice and follow His leading.

Bill Hamon the founder of Christian International made a great statement in one of his books that have always stayed with me. He talked about how often times when God is doing something in the church it becomes like a pendulum on a grandfather clock. That so often there is a group of people who take it clear to the extreme on one side, and then there are those that take it clear to the extreme on the other side and then there are those that got the move of the Spirit in the middle.

I wanted to bring out this blog because I talk about faith a lot. I believe in stepping out when God is leading you to. I believe in doing mighty and radical things for the kingdom. However just like me grabbing the spoilt milk, so many times people we don’t stop to even question “God, is this the way I need to go?” We just grab the carton and hope for the best.

If you’ve been following my blogs for any length of time you’d know one of my favorite scriptures is Isaiah 30:21 “Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “ This is the way, walk in it,” Whenever you turn to the right hand Or whenever you turn to the left.”

We must hear or feel that leading and walk in it. We must allow ourselves to be the followers of Christ, not the leading of carnal feelings. We must be that group of people who find themselves in the center of that pendulum. We must find ourselves in the very center of God’s will. Then and only then will we do mighty victories for the kingdom. Then and only then can we speak to the mountains and say they must move, and they do. Philippians 4:6 says, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God”

People if you want to walk where God has divinely purposed for you to walk, you must remember Isaiah 1:19 says, “If you are willing and obedient, You shall eat the good of the land” God wants for you to have those victories. He wants you to have good success. Allow Him to lead you.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!