I Am My Father's Daughter!

As today is father’s day I was internally reflecting of all the good things my earthly father had taught me. I was reflecting of how it’s helped me in different ways of pursing the things of God. My father has not always been perfect, but I can take so many of the things he taught me about life and it help me in my Christian walk.

My dad taught me:

In Matthew 19:13-15 Jesus was being surrounded by the children. While the disciples thought it was odd Jesus welcomed that they would climb up in his lap and talk to Him. God wants those one on one times with His children. God the father loves it when his children have those sweet moments of quiet time with Him where we can crawl up in His lap. I learned this from my dad. As a little girl we would spend hours in his room talking, watching TV, or just holding hands. I’ll be 32 years old soon, and I confess one of my highlights of getting to go visit with my dad will be crawling up beside him, holding his hand and listening to him talk. I have no shame in saying that. God wants that same kind of relationship with us.

 

We are taught in the Bible time and time again the importance of being persistent. God wants us to finish the race that He sets before us. 1 Corinthians 9:24 says, “Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.” This is just one of the many examples the Bible talks about enduring the race to finish it. In hours I’ve spent with my dad talking about his life, and his tour with Vietnam many of you have heard me quote him time and time again. “Dig deeper and push harder.” “You got two choices in life lay down and die or get up and fight.” In reference to a battle, “Feet don’t let my butt down.” My father is one of the strongest people I know. Despite walking through Vietnam, being captured as a POW briefly and living to tell about it. In my life time he has had a tumor removed from his spinal cord and had to learn how to walk again. He has survived heart attack and stroke, and a bout of pancrities. There are days that I get tired and frustrated, and in my call I have wanted to give up, but the words of my father have kept me going. I’m not about to lie down and die, so no matter what happens I come back fighting.

One of my dad’s famous phrases is “I get better looking every time I look in the mirror.” My father taught me to have a positive view of my self image. God created me in His image (Genesis 1:26). If I’m going to have a healthy view of myself then I need to see this as a fact. In the years of struggling with my own image that most people go through, my father taught me how to love the me I am.

My father taught me the value of a sense of humor. Life is too short not to laugh at it on occasion. My dad has the ability to crack a joke at just about any conversation. Pastor Arthur used to say too many Christians go around looking like they got weaned on a dill pickle after they get saved. That they need to remember the joy of the Lord is their strength (Psalm21:1). Did you know that God has a sense of humor? Some people have this crazy view that God is serious all the time. Nope, we are created in the image of God, I assure you God has a sense of humor. Psalm 9:1 talks about David dancing and laughing in the presence of God.

Many of you may have not had a positive male role in your life growing up. But God wants to be your father. He longs to be the ultimate father in your life. I remember as a little girl thinking my earthly father was a hero and that he could do no wrong. I realize now he is human he has his faults but he has been a gift God. I am blessed. I hope all of you father’s out there today realize that your children will learn about God from you. You’ve been given the responsibility for legacy. What will your legacy say about you? Aspire to raise your children up in the way’s they should go so when their old they won’t depart from it. Aspire to inspire them.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!