Continuing of the fridge saga

If you read my blog a week ago you heard the story of how my refrigerator was off for the three weeks that we were out of town and I returned to an unplanned science fair experiment in my kitchen. I compared that to how sometimes there are things lurking in us that we need to deal with and if you don’t deal with it, the stuff in our lives can get worse and worse.

Today, I have a continuing saga of the fridge episode. There had been a couple of containers that had left over’s in them while we were away and lets just say those left over’s were barley recognizable after three weeks of no refrigeration. As part of my cleaning out the fridge I threw out all the left over’s and cleaned out all the containers. I thought the containers would be fine to use again after they’d been washed and figured this attack of the smelly fridge was past me. So, after making dinner a week ago I reused one of those containers for left over’s. A few days ago I reheated some left over’s that had been in one of those containers. The taste of rotting food was lingering in the new food! I gasped as I took a big bite. It didn’t matter what the left over’s were, they now tasted like rot! It was disgusting. Needless to say I had to swallow my cheapness and toss the container. I didn’t finish my meal.

Sometimes life can be like that. We think an issue has been taken care of, but something happens and you find out it hasn’t been. So you have to go back and take care of it.

Matthew 9:17 (NIV) Neither do people pour new wine into old wineskins. If they do, the skins will burst; the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. No, they pour new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved.”

You have to continue to work on yourself especially if you expect God to continue fill you up with new things in your life.

I remember when my oldest daughter was just a baby. Me saying I felt overwhelmed was an understatement. I was far away from home, we had very few friends in FL, and we had little resources. I didn’t know how to raise a baby. I can remember spending too long trying to get her to sleep and laying her gently in her crib. We only had a one bedroom apartment at the time and Dan was the only one working. I didn’t want her crying an waking him up because he had to go to work in the morning. With frustration I sighed when she starting to scream again and I found myself going back to the crib and picking her up. I can remember clearly feeling God speak to me saying something along the line that it’s frustrating for Him when He worked with us to get past a situation or an issue in our lives and He’s moving on to something else, when he looks and sees we haven’t really given that thing up. We’re back doing the same old thing.

I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to be an old container/old wineskin and frustrate God. I want to continue to be changed moving forward.

2 Corinthians 3:18 (KJV)
But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

Allow God to do in your life what He needs to do in order to get you on the other side. Change in your life what you need to change and don’t pick it up again. You don’t want to be known as an old wineskin, and you certainly don’t want to be known as a smelly piece of a rotting container. Allow God to continue to change you for His glory. Nothing is worth holding onto. You’ll be a better person for His glory if you just let go of the old.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!