You should follow a recipe!

It’s been a real treat to have my mom visiting us in Florida the last few days. Yesterday I made a carrot cake from scratch and it wasn’t done in the center, and had to bake it a little longer after we tried to eat what could only best be described as “carrot pudding”. My mom and I got to reminiscing about some of my baking excursions over the years.

There was one particular event that made us laugh that I thought I would share today. When I was around ten I decided I wanted to bake biscuits. However I refused to look at a recipe. I don’t know what I was thinking, but both my mom and my sister tried to get me to follow one, yet I refused to follow it. I threw all sorts of ingredients in a bowl and was sure I would be the next greatest “super chef”. In anticipation I watched and waited as my mother took a tentative bite into my creation. She silently chewed. I was sure these had to be a culinary masterpiece, but instead she couldn’t eat another bit.

“I’m sorry Ann, I can’t.” She choked out. I began to cry. She then tried to feed them to the dog but he wouldn’t even eat them. While I had wanted to be a baking sensation, if I’d have been on a reality show with Gordon Ramsey he would have thrown the biscuit at me probably breaking something as they sailed out the window.

Many people live their lives like I baked those biscuits. They are convinced that they can do it by themselves and they refuse to actually follow instructions. However God gave us an entire book of instructions. He gave us the Bible to read and know what we should do. What happens is often we try to do it on our own, but then get mad at God because it didn’t work. You have to use the instructions He gave us if you want good results.

Joshua 1:5-9 (NIV)No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them. “Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”

Be lovers of God’s word. Follow His recipes for life. Then you will have good success. When you are so prideful that you’re convinced you don’t need God’s instructions you’ll produce junk that even the dogs won’t want. Be fully persuaded that God’s instructions are better than your own. Be excited people. God is faithful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!