Making Candy



This weekend my husband went to Canada for a family event. I decided this afternoon to welcome him home I would make a flan for his return. I got my ingredients together and then starting dealing with a slew of questions from the kids. “What are you doing” “How does the sugar melt” “That doesn’t make sense mom”. Their questions were getting a tad annoying and I was trying to be a good mom.

I suddenly had a creativity memory moment where I remembered in one of my favorite book series’ ever The Little House on the Prairie when Laura and her sisters made candy from molasses and the snow. I figured I could melt some sugar throw some food coloring in, and let it cool in some ice water and it would give us a similar affect. I was trying to do something fun for the girls but the questions kept parading in my kitchen. “How is that going to work” “Candy is made out of sugar?” “Why did it turn green, wasn’t it blue before?” “Can I stir it?” “Mom, is it ready yet?” “Mom what are you going to do with the ice water?” “Mom! Mom! Mom!”

I am constantly amazed at God’s graciousness when it comes to us his children when we start acting like this to him. These times when my kids do this to me it’s when I almost want to say, “That’s it, I’m not going to do anything for you! Chill!”

I am so grateful that God doesn’t give up on us, but I’m sure there are moments when we sound the exact same way to him. “God have you noticed that bill that we got in the mail?” “God when is this thing going to happen?” “What are you doing God?” “God are you paying attention to me?” “God hey what’s taking you so long?” “God!”

When our “candy” was done, the kids marveled at my wisdom and my coolness. Truthfully, it all started on a whim, but to them it made me even cooler in their book. It made me reflect that God sees our end from our beginnings. While we might have our lists of questions, we have to trust Him. We have to trust that He knows what He’s doing because he might have a little more knowledge on the subjects than we do. We have to trust Him because He knows all, sees all, and if you’re His kiddo, He already has it figured out.

Think about it today. Is there anything in your life where you throwing tons of questions at him? Asking him questions is fine, but you have to trust Him that when you know His will on a matter, you know it will be well.

You have to trust Him!

Matthew 6:7-9 (The Message)
7-13"The world is full of so-called prayer warriors who are prayer-ignorant. They're full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for getting what you want from God. Don't fall for that nonsense. This is your Father you are dealing with, and he knows better than you what you need. With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply. Like this:

Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;
Do what's best— as above, so below.
Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
You're in charge!
You can do anything you want!
You're ablaze in beauty!
Yes. Yes. Yes.

*Yes, this is a picture of our random experiment. The kids had fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!