URGENT! Wal-Mart Ran Out Of Chicken!

A few years ago Dan, the girls, and I were running errands and we were on the other side of town. We were all getting tired. I’d hit rock bottom on the snacks for the kids, so we were all hungry. As we neared the end of the list of things we had to do, we found ourselves in a Wal-Mart. Out of frustration Dan and I agreed we’d buy a fried chicken meal from the deli and take it home. That way I didn’t have to cook, and everyone would be happy.

I approached the counter, and smiled at the girl. The see through case of fried chicken seemed tempting. There were ample amounts in the warmer. I waited my turn as my kids bickered as a result of their fatigue. I was trying to be as gracious as I could as I waited. She proceeded to be talking to someone in Spanish and wouldn’t make eye contact with me. As the seconds ticked off what seemed to be way to long I stood there. Finally in stilted English she asked me what we would like.

“We want the family chicken meal.” I responded. I thought I was being nice to her. I didn’t detect any amount of rudeness in my voice though in all fairness maybe it was there. We’d had a long day, and the girls were now borderline embarrassing with their whining.

“I’m sorry we’re out of chicken.” She responded to me with a straight face. I looked back at the case again. There were mounds of cooked chicken in the bins. Surely this woman was joking with me. Surely she would start laughing.

So, I repeated the request, “We’d like a family chicken dinner please.”

“Ma’am we’re out of chicken.” I think that was the moment the veneer I was keeping was starting to crack like ice on a windshield.

“What do you mean you’re out of chicken? What is that?” I pointed to the case.

“Sorry ma’am we’re out of chicken.” This was about the time Dan intervened. He must have noticed the desperation in my voice. The kids were getting to me, and surely this woman didn’t think I was stupid. This was Wal-Mart. They aren’t out of chicken. I’m staring at it. I am not one for making a scene but I was about to. I was about to yell at those people, ask for a manager, and cry. Didn’t they know I was tired and now for whatever reason this woman was deciding not to sell me chicken at Wal-Mart?

My husband is such a gracious man of God. He smiled at the woman. “Thank you.” He said and whisked me out the door. I wanted to take the woman down and my dear husband choose a much better option.

“Don’t worry about it Ann. There is a KFC on the way home. We’ll just stop there.” After I calmed down, Dan and I had a good laugh over this story. It’s still a joke to us to say that Wal-Mart is out of chicken. I’ve never understood what happened there.

So many times in life we choose to flesh out, or freak out, or look like a crazy person when things don’t go our way. To do that, really just isn’t worth it. We got our chicken, the kids calmed down, and all was well. It wasn’t worth me wanting to smack a woman at Wal-Mart to make a point.

Psalm 103:8 (NIV)
The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love.


Let God be our model in life. We may not always be perfect at it, but we have to strive to be slow to anger when things aren’t going our way. We have to strive to take deep breathes instead of smacking people. We have to remember that we are ambassadors for the kingdom of God. That doesn’t mean that we need to act like a doormat, but it does mean that we need to show love to His people wherever we go! There was an old song we used to sing at my church growing up. Here are the lyrics. May they make you think and reflect what you are showing the world.

They'll Know We Are Christians By Our Love
written by Peter Scholtes
additional words and music by Carolyn Arends
.
We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord
We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord

And we pray that all unity may one day be restored
And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love
They will know we are Christians by our love

We will work with each other, we will work side by side
We will work with each other, we will work side by side
And we'll guard each one's dignity and save each one's pride
And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love
They will know we are Christians by our love

By our love, by our love
And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love
They will know we are Christians by our love

We will walk with each other, we will walk hand in hand
We will walk with each other, we will walk hand in hand
And together we'll spread the news that God is in our land
And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love
They will know we are Christians by our love
By our love, by our love

And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love
They will know we are Christians by our love

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!