He Called Me A Wimp!

At some point in my early growing up years, I had an accident on one of our kitchen benches. These benches were brown vinyl covered cushioned metal frames. They stood on metal legs that met in the center and formed a stand. The accident was my fault. I was standing on one of the benches by the window and honestly, I am not sure what I was doing. Could I have been climbing on the window? Playing with the piece of green clay that’s permanently part of the kitchen décor? Dusting the windowsill? It was probably any one of those things though probably not the dusting one. The bench wasn’t stable, I was flipped up as it wobbled and landed on it‘s side. In mid air, as gravity brought me to the ground, the base of the bench that stuck out and caught my abdomen. As a result, I had an odd shaped stomach abrasion that could have been a lot worse than what it was, but it looked ugly. It was probably a miracle I did not impale myself on the bench.

My mom was not impressed with my kitchen acrobatics. Somehow, she did not believe I could have a future in the cast Cirque du Soleil, and rushed me to the doctor’s office to make sure I did not have any internal injuries. The pediatricians’ office that I went to growing up was in a clinic where it was several pediatricians in one practice. Mom was not picky; she just wanted me to see someone. We took the first available opening.

The doctor came in the room in his white jacket: heard what I did, and managed to suppress a few giggles to himself. As he managed to look at my wound and tried to clean it, I flinched. Maybe it was pain, maybe it was a surprise at how cold antiseptic always seems to be, I do not know but I flinched.

“You’re okay. What are you a wimp?” The doctor was joking. However, I did not think it was funny. My pride had been hurt and he now had the audacity to call me a wimp. Maybe in some people’s mind that was not such a bad thing. However, in mine it was. I could have been impaled on a piece of furniture and he dared called me a wimp! I will admit I had a lot of randomly odd accidents growing up and this group of doctors knew who I was, and probably laughed over coffee before going home some of my crazy adventures. He was joking, but I didn’t care for his sense of humor.

However from then on out, I did not like that doctor. He had called me a wimp, and I did not appreciate that! In fact it was offensive to me, and no matter how many times I saw him he was not my favorite doctor.

Psalm 103:6-18(MSG)
6-18 God makes everything come out right;
he puts victims back on their feet.
He showed Moses how he went about his work,
opened up his plans to all Israel.
God is sheer mercy and grace;
not easily angered, he's rich in love.
He doesn't endlessly nag and scold,
nor hold grudges forever.
He doesn't treat us as our sins deserve,
nor pay us back in full for our wrongs.
As high as heaven is over the earth,
so strong is his love to those who fear him.
And as far as sunrise is from sunset,
he has separated us from our sins.
As parents feel for their children,
God feels for those who fear him.
He knows us inside and out,
keeps in mind that we're made of mud.
Men and women don't live very long;
like wildflowers they spring up and blossom,
But a storm snuffs them out just as quickly,
leaving nothing to show they were here.
God's love, though, is ever and always,
eternally present to all who fear him,
Making everything right for them and their children
as they follow his Covenant ways
and remember to do whatever he said.


Life is really short, and grudges are kept too long. Seriously? What is the use of you holding on to something that really doesn’t mean anything that happened years and years ago. I had to let go of my aggravation of the doctor calling me a wimp. So what? I had a moment of weakness and I flinched. I can’t hold onto that forever. It’s just not worth it. You have to let those things go. I know this sounds small and little but to me I was really mad at that doctor in that moment. The emotions were very real to me at the time. If you don’t let go of those little things then you start getting bitter and it can turn to unforgiveness. You have to choose to let things go. You can’t hold onto offenses and things that bug you, but let them go.

Life is too short to be bitter. Choose to leave those things in the past. You can’t change the things people do or say to you, but you can change you, and how they affect you. All those things can become like weights to you if you let it. Choose to let go of the weights. Choose to soar above those things. God has awesome plans for your life, so get excited.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!