Are You Loosing Air?




A few days ago my mom, dad, and grandfather arrived on a long car trip from the North. They didn’t stay long and sadly left our house this morning. On Wednesday I was trying to set up the air mattress for my mom and dad. Years ago when we first moved to Florida, my parents and my in-laws both bought us air mattresses’ so they could sleep on them when they visited. We finally came to the conclusion if you put one on top of the other it makes for a decent mattress. So on Wednesday, I rushed to set up a bed for them.

The first air mattress went up smoothly, and in the midst of doing what felt like fifty things at once I started to plug in the pump of the second. However, there was a problem. The motor turned on but nothing was happening. I watched the mattress start to inflate, and then like a sigh drift down. I started getting bummed. This had been such a good air mattress for us, and it appeared it was dying. I was tired. Thoughts kept piling in my head. I started to get frustrated. I was determined to make it work for my parents, so I kept trying to inflate it. I sat out there for at least fifteen minutes maybe more. I kept trying to adjust the motor, I tried to move the mattress, and I was tempted to see if I could inflate it with nothing but the hot air out of my lungs but nothing was working. Out of desperation, and almost ready to cry out of overwhelming frustration I called out to Dan.

“Help me!”

My husband is ever the voice of reason for me. God knew what He was doing when He put us together because Dan walked out to where I was, looked at me and responded, “Did you close the plug so it was sealed?”
“No. But it had to have been closed since the last time we used it.” Dan picked up the mattress, shut the seal, and chuckling to himself he laid it back on the ground. You know it’s amazing when you actually seal off an air mattress how quickly it will inflate.

You know it’s funny in life how quickly we all jump to conclusions and worst case scenarios before we actually have all the facts. Worries and frustrations can be like an ax that will chop down your peace. It’s kind of like inflating an air mattress with the plug off. You’ll start to think that it’s going to work, and all the anxiety will pop off the plug and slowly make it deflate.
The word of God is very clear about what we can do with worry.

Matthew 6:34 (NIV)
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

1 Peter 5:7 (NIV)
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

I already had that air mattress left up for trash in my mind, when truthfully the problem was the one inflating the thing not the mattress.

Most the time I think that situations aren’t nearly as bad as we initially think they are. If we would just stop our minds from wondering down into the pit, it would be amazing how much less stress we’d have in our lives. You have to remember that you can’t let your mind be filled with worry, anxiety, and stress. Their usually just lies, and worrying will do nothing to help you. Remember God has awesome plans for your life. Get excited.

*Remember the BOGO free deal for my books ends Monday! I will be changing the price on my website! Super Smiles!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!