The Story Behind My New Found Love of Headbands

A few months ago I found myself loving the new trends in headbands. Throw some tulle, feathers, and bows at this girl and watch her automatically jump on the fashionista bandwagon. As much as I found myself loving the new trends, I kept telling myself that I didn’t look good in headbands and therefore it wasn’t for me. Suddenly one afternoon I had a breakthrough moment. As I was telling myself why I wouldn’t look good in a dashing peacock feather look with a bow, suddenly I thought what is my issue with me against headbands? Then like a flash out of my memory I knew exactly what my issue against me and headbands were. I hadn’t thought about it in years, but suddenly like a movie screen in my mind I saw the scene play out before me. I was in the 6th or 7th grade and these girls that were supposed to be my friends, used to steal my headbands and make fun of me for them. They used to tell me I looked horrible in headbands, and should never wear them. I can remember they claimed they were the “fashion police” and them stealing my headband and hiding them was really a service to society. Yes, kids especially girls can be mean. It’s funny though I hadn’t thought about that in years, and it seemed the stupidest thing in the world to me that this was my reasoning that I didn’t think headbands look good on me. It was some silly incidents that happened over 20 years ago. Call it therapy, or maybe fashion genius, but I have quickly developed just a minor obsession for headbands. Now that I know I’ve spent years avoiding them over this stupid incident, I’m going out of my way to sport the fashion now. I’m not going to let some childish encounters dictate to me, what fashion I will and won’t embrace. Philippians 3:13 (NIV) “ Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,” Don’t live your lives stuck in the past. Your life is precious and too short. While I’d long since forgiven these people, it seems to me now that maybe subconsciously I was still carrying around the burden of what happened. Let those burdens go. It’s baggage you just don’t need to carry. So now I confess that I don’t have a headband obsession or addiction really, but I may need to make more room on my dresser for the growing amounts of sequins and feathers. Remember God has awesome plans for your life. Get excited!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!