Worst Case Scenario Mindset


 
 

            I have a confession to make.  Sometimes being a tad on the dramatic side, I automatically write stories in my mind, and being a Christian that needs to renew my mind isn’t always the easiest of combinations.  I have a mindset sometimes that jumps to worst case scenarios.  Sure, I fight against it, and am reprogramming my mind regarding this, but it can be a struggle in my life. The Bible says to admit your faults to each other (James 5:17), so I hope in letting this freak flag fly someone else can get freedom from their worst case mindset.

            Just this weekend the post office left a note on the door saying we needed to sign for an envelope.  We have a lot of different situations going on right now, so automatically I jumped to “Oh no, what’s in that envelope”.  I had at least three major theories in my mind, none of which were good.  Fear can be a difficult thing to battle.  Dan and I prayed and I felt much better, but then I had to start renewing my mind again.  I at least came up with another possibility of what could be waiting for me at the post office.  This morning I went to the post office.  Do you know what was in that envelope?  Two headbands I’d ordered off eBay for my daughters.  None of my scenarios were true, and it certainly wasn’t the worst case ones happening either. 

            I am not sure when in my life I became such a preparer for the worst case scenarios.  But this weekend taught me that I still have room in this area to grow.  What kept making me more annoyed with myself is that I knew I knew better than to let my mind go unharnessed like that.  I know what the word of God says.  But for the last few days it was a bit of a struggle.


Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.


Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

            God doesn’t want us thinking about ‘worst case scenario’s’ either.  There is a reason He tells us in Philippians 4:8 “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.


            God wants us to focus on the positive.  He wants us to focus on what is praiseworthy.  He wants us to trust Him for whatever “could have been in that envelope”, and not trust in our ability to make plans for the ‘what if’s’. 


            This is an area I admit I will be working on.  Somehow I know I’m not alone in this.  If you struggle with it too, I recommend you memorize the above scriptures and start saying them out loud whenever you’re in a battle.  Fear of the unknown can be a powerful struggle, but guess what?  God is bigger than the unknowns!  I’ve read the book.  He wins, and through Him so can you!


            Remember God has awesome plans for your life.  Get excited!


 

 

           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!