Friday, October 21, 2016

Why we gave up Halloween


 

 

**WARNING** to some this will be a controversial blog.  It’s not meant to be in my eyes.  Strangely the Halloween debate in many Christian circles can get heated as if it were politics or whether to celebrate Santa Claus or not.  This article is not meant to cast judgment on people who choose to celebrate Halloween.  There are a lot of people I know and love that do.  This article is merely sharing my family’s story and the reason we gave it up.  If you don’t agree with me then, that’s fine.  It’s between you and God.  This blog is not meant to cause division and strife, but just give our side of this debate.  There is no need to get offended.

            My husband and I both grew up celebrating Halloween.  I would say we both had the stereotypical upbringing of carving pumpkins and trick or treating.  My family would throw Halloween parties and I remember getting a plastic Smurfette costume and rocking that character proudly.  Early on for me, Halloween was something that seemed innocent. 

            However somewhere in my head it changed.  I’m not exactly sure when that happened.  Was it the time I dressed up as a witch and my mother thought I looked so convincing that she wouldn’t let me go out of the house without a cross around my neck? or Was it the time that my aunt and I went in this ‘Haunted House’ put on by the local theatre company?  I was so terrified that I begged my aunt to let me hide in the building in some random closet?  (Seriously, in my hometown today that building is a restaurant and still all these years later that building gives me the creeps.) By the time I was in high school and working at a Halloween store, where I dressed  up nightly and choreographed their runway show every year, I know something inside of me had started to wake up to the fact Halloween isn’t all fun and games.  I remember working in that store and playing Carmen songs, as this horrid prerecorded witch would cackle a song. (Specifically it was ‘Satan Bite The Dust’ which is still a family favorite song)  This is also about the time I began learning about the supernatural.  (To which I’d like to add here, a dear friend of mine at this point wanted to take me to a haunted house because he thought seeing me scared would be funny, and my response was I’d just lay hands on the thing trying to scare me and cast the devil out of it, therefore embarrassing him, so his humor wouldn’t be worth it.)

            What I kept coming back to as I grew older was that, there really is a devil; he is out to steal, kill, and destroy.  But God is bigger and Jesus came so that we might have life and have it more abundantly.  Once I began learning and being in situations where I have seen exorcisms (demons leaving people), and prayed for people to get free from demonic activity, it was no longer fun and games to me.  But it was a very real battle.

            Then, we had children and our oldest was starting to come to an age where we had to make a decision.  The more I thought about this whole Halloween debate, and learned what its origins really are, the more I couldn’t deny it wasn’t a ‘holiday’ just meant for fun and games but has a very dark side.  How was I supposed to parent children that we were encouraging them to live their lives on fire for Jesus 364 days a year, but tell them its ok one day a year to act out some practices that are deeply saturated in witchcraft?  The meme I posted with this is a popular one this time of year from a leader in the satanic church.  Could I let the traditions in which I was raised with overpower a growing check in my spirit when it came to Halloween? 

That’s about when a friend of mine sent me these videos.  Below are for short video links.  Carol Kornacki was a practicing witch and these four videos are pretty graphic about what Halloween’s origins are, and what the holiday is really about.





            My simply answer is that Halloween is a ‘religious holiday’ of a religion I am not. 

I’ve heard most all arguments to people who want to justify celebrating it.  Again I digress to, “This is the choice my family and I have made.  What others want to do is in between them and God.” One of the most common arguments is ‘it’s all fun and games; we dress our children in non-evil costumes.’  I hear that argument.  However did you know by declaring ‘Trick Or Treat’ you’re basically saying ‘either give me candy or I’m going to put a curse on you.’  Again not things I want to encourage my children to say.  Please by all means listen to the videos above to hear about the origins of Jack-o-lanterns and all of these things.  Personally my husband and I just couldn’t encourage this in our family. I’ve also heard the argument that All Hollow’s Eve is Catholic in its origins so Halloween is just off of that, and thus this must be okay.  Actually the Catholic Church took the pagan traditions of what was Halloween and tried to make it work within the church so I don’t go with that discussion either.  Many people want to argue too, ‘that some Christmas and Easter traditions are also steeped in some pagan ones, so how can I say no to Halloween and not to the others’.  My answer to this is simple.  At Christmas I don’t worship a tree, but celebrate Jesus’ birthday.  At Easter I do not worship a bunny, but celebrate the resurrection.  Another common argument is that somehow ‘I’m making my children miss out on something by not celebrating Halloween’.  Um nope.  Neither of my kids has ever wanted to.  In fact both knew at an early age ‘that stuff in the store leading up to Halloween’ was yucky. I didn’t have to tell them that.  I can remember one of my kids being quite loud at some witch display, and trying to walk quickly past it because I was a little embarrassed at how loud they were.  If they want candy I have no problem buying it for them, and I have no problem for them dressing up and being silly.  We’ve been a part of various alternative Harvest Festivals over the years.  I’ve also heard the classic argument, “Well I turned out ok.”  To which my response is “Great!  Glad you did, but why would that make me want to celebrate something like this?”  Seriously just because I walked on hot coals (not literally this is symbolic) doesn’t mean I think my children should. Why would I encourage my kids to play with fire?  Lastly I’ve heard the argument “What if my kids grow up and choose to celebrate it?”  Well, I hope they don’t.  They know how Dan and I feel, however …geesh…that doesn’t mean I’d disown them.  What they will choose to do with their future families is between them, their future spouses and God.   To all of these arguments I want to say this, “When do we teach our children that we are different than the world, and that’s ok?  Why do we have to do something just because everyone else is doing it? Why can’t we just take a step back and see what kind of ‘fruit’ something is manifesting in our lives?” 

I realize that by posting this blog I’ll probably offend some.  Again that is not my desire.  I just wanted to share why we gave up Halloween.  I wanted to educate some that may not realize the dark side of this day, so that everyone can make the best choices for their families. 

Remember, God has awesome plans for your life.  Get excited!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment