But what if I fall on my butt?

I was speaking to someone the other day. This girl had just recently made a recommitment to live her life for God and she was struggling with doing what she knew God wanted her to do. It was the age old struggle of “What if I just can’t do it? What if I look like an idiot? What if I fail?” The internal turmoil she was facing is nothing new. I’ve heard these excuses a lot in the kingdom. We think if we wave the fear flag that it will excuse us from doing what we know God wants. Sorry to tell you it doesn’t work that way.

Let me tell you a story: When I was a cheerleader in high school, I experienced first hand an embarrassment that taught me a lot. The one part of cheering that I worked very hard in was my jumps. Toe-touches, pikes, double-nine’s, etc I had a lot of power in those jumps. I had heard in years past it had earned me the nick name of the ‘jump queen’. However, I didn’t know what to do with that power. My toe-touches got to the point where I had so much power in them that several times I hadn’t yet learned how to get my feet under me stable and when I landed inertia wasn’t my friend and gravity took over. I landed on my behind. You might think, “Well big deal.” The big deal was that I did it several times in front of stadiums of people. We had a cinder track that we cheered on and the black cinders would leave marks on my tush. In a time in most everyone’s live when socially awkward might as well be tattooed on their forehead I experienced first hand the kind of embarrassment that would make most people crawl in a barrel and hide. When the jokes and taunting from my peers stopped I figured I could cry and give up, or learn how to not fall. So the next week I went out on that field to cheer and fell on my butt again. Eventually I learned how to handle the height on my jumps but it took me time to retrain myself on how to land.

What is the point I’m trying to get to? Who do you fear more? God or man? I assure you that I got through the embarrassment of falling on my butt in front of so many leaving a black mark on my rump. I got through it and I lived to tell about it. So what if you mess up and fall! Get up and keep trying.

Joshua 1:7-9 says “Only be strong and very courageous, that you may observe to do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you; do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may prosper wherever you go. This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”

Matthew 12:30 says, “He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad.”

If God is telling you to do something then so what if you mess up and get embarrassed. God knows what he’s doing when He tells you to do it. God knows what is inside of you and what He’s trying to get out. IF you fall on your butt then get back up again and keep going forward.

Many people keep using this excuse and they never actually take the steps of faith they need in order to fulfill what God is saying, but yet they go around secretly blaming God for not moving them forward the way they think He should.

Hebrews 11:6 says, “But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.”

Matthew 8:26 says, “But He said to them, “Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?” Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm.”

When people are afraid in the Bible Jesus always questions where their faith is. If the fear of man stops you from doing what you know He’s told you to do, then where is your faith? If the fear of failure stops you, then where is your faith? God wants desperately for you to step out in faith and trust him beyond what you can see. He will meet you there. If you fall on your butt, so what. Get back up and keep walking toward Him. You’ll be glad you did. You’ll be stepping into the plans and purposes of God and He’ll get you to where you need to go. But you have to start stepping toward Him. You have to start trusting Him beyond what you know. You must take the steps of faith, and trust Him.

Proverbs 24:16a (New International Version) says, “for though a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again”

So, get back up and keep going!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!