Lose the Saltshaker Mentality

When I was a kid, I spent a lot of time at my grandparents’ house. I am not sure how it started but somehow I had determined in my head that I was going to catch one of the birds that used to fly around their back yard. I tried to catch it by chasing after them, but it never seemed to work.

One day we visited my great grandfather somehow the topic arose. He was very old at the time. The memory is not vivid but I remember that to me he seemed ancient. His skin hung in folds on his face telling the story of time. He chuckled for a moment and said, “Well girl, if you can get salt on its tail you can catch it.” I did not know that he was joking. It must have been an old Southern Ohio tall tale because salt is so heavy. I think he mean that if you were close enough for salt to fall on the bird you were close enough to catch it. However, I did not take it that way.

For weeks, perhaps months, as soon as I would enter into my grandparents’ house Grandma would greet me with a saltshaker in hand. My pigtails streaming behind I would run around the yard with the saltshaker desperately trying to catch one of those birds. I will never know how much salt I went through. Grandma never complained. She was always faithful to hand me the saltshaker and allow me to keep trying. I would run and salt would go flying in the yard as if it was snow in the summertime. I was determined to catch a bird. Eventually will tears and frustration I gave up. I never did catch one.

Many times in pursuing the calling and giftings on your life, it is easy to get as I did with that bird. It is almost as if we think that God like my great grandfather is setting us up to have a little humor on us. But that is not true. God is not like that. God wants to see us fulfill the things He has for us. I heard a quote from John Paul Jackson on facebook the other day, and I thought I’d share it. "Far too many Christians treat God as if He means well, but He can't quite overcome the evil in this world - and their lives prove it."

You have the ability to do what God has called you to do on the inside of you whether you see it yet or not. God does not set you up to mess up. He sets you up to excel and be victorious.Joshua 1:8 says, “This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.”

When people try to tell me that they are feeling that God is messing with them or setting them up for failure that tells me that they are either speaking out of frustration or they don’t really know God. 1 John 4:4 says, “You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.” 1 John 5:5 says, “Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?”

Do you really get what God is saying? I mean really get it. If you do then why are you allowing circumstances to bother you? You are victorious through Christ Jesus. You need get that revelation deep on the inside of you. If you’re on God’s team, then He is cheering for you. He wants you to succeed. He wants you to fulfill all He has for you. He wants to watch you do everything in your life that He has set into motion. He doesn’t want you to just merely live day in and day out with a “woe is me” attitude. He wants you to stand tall and victorious. You are a king’s kid, so start acting like one! Sure situations and circumstances may come and go, but its okay. You can fulfill what He has called you to do. He is on your side.

He will never leave you or forsake you! (Hebrews 13:5, Deut 31:6, Deut 21:8, Joshua 1:5, and 1 Kings 8:57) I found that phrase five times in the Bible. I think if God kept repeating Himself, He must have meant it. You have to realize that God equips you; He calls you, and loves you so much he has the hairs on your head numbered. (Matthew 10:30) Stop getting frustrated today, and know that God is on your side. Great things are about to happen. Keep trusting Him!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!