You have two choices: Either lie down and die, or get up and start fighting!

This weekend I drove my oldest to a birthday party about an hour across town. My youngest did not get to go because she was not feeling well, so Dan kept the youngest at home so he could install our kitchen sink because we have been in the middle of a kitchen remodel and I went to the birthday party at some friends’ house. I was lost once, but eventually found their new house. In true fashion of these particular friends of ours, the birthday party was decked out complete with bounce house, a petting zoo, a pony, etc.

Right after we got there I decided I needed to lock my purse in the car, so I walked out the front door. I neglected to see a small step further down on the porch. I took a nosedive in their driveway. With a summersault a flip and a flop I came up on my bottom and in pain. I knew immediately I had really hurt my ankle. I‘ve broken enough bones in my body to know it wasn‘t broken, but I knew I twisted it good and I hurt. For those of you who have known me for years these kinds of stories were not uncommon. However, I have been really good for about 12 years now. I’m a reformed klutz! Trying to hold back my tears, I went back to the party. I left early because I was hurting. By the time, I got back to my house the drive home had become me crying in pain, praying, and trying to justify making my oldest to drive. (I did not but it was tempting)

When I arrived home, I did not get the coddling I needed. Dan was still very engaged with the installation of the sink, and my youngest was still not feeling well. I could barely walk, and the tears were beginning to flow freely. I had to be a mom, and emotions were at a height. At this point, I finally got my sock off to see my ankle had swollen to double its original size.

I lay on the couch and cried. The thoughts swirled around my head, like a marching band. If I was living in the area of family, I could just drop the kids off at a relatives. How long is this season in my life going to last? Was I going to have to go to the urgent care for my ankle? In addition, Does God understand I do not have time to be here in pain with a hurt ankle? And, if I have to go to the Urgent Care do I take the kids with us or just go alone? I laid there for quite sometime feeling sorry for myself. I was in the pit of self-pity and like shovel fulls of dirt each question and thought was piling more and more dirt on my head.

My dad who: was a grunt soldier in Vietnam, has had two knee surgeries, a tumor removed from his spine and had to learn how to walk again, two heart attacks and a stroke, and a bout of pancratitis has always been a wealth of wisdom to me. He has always says to me that you have two choices in life: you can either lie down and die or get up and keep fighting. In the moment of crying and feeling sorry for myself, I realized I had to get up and keep fighting. I used to get condemned when I had these kinds of moments, but a wise woman once told me that having those moments are okay as long as you get right back up again and start speaking what the word of God says.

David in the Bible knew what it was like to have to fight his way out of a pit. Here he was anointed to be king at a very young age, taken into the king’s palace, and King Saul kept trying to kill him. He had to stop feeling sorry for his circumstances and keep on fighting. Psalm 40:2 says, “He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, Out of the miry clay, And set my feet upon a rock, And established my steps.”

We have all had similar moments to what happened to me this weekend when we find ourselves in a pit of self-pity. Where questions and pains dance in our minds and we do not know how we are going to get up. However, David said in Psalms that God took him out of the pit and set his feet upon a rock. God established His steps. All throughout the Bible Jesus Christ is compared to as the rock. Allow God to take you out of the pit and place your steps firmly on THE ROCK! We all have to get up and keep on fighting. We all have to hold fast that God’s ways are perfect and He knows what He is doing. We all have to renew our minds according to Romans 12:2! We have to renew our minds to what the Word says!

I woke up this morning doing better. I am a little stiff and still swollen. I will baby my ankle for a few days, but I will be fine. But I will tell you one thing, I am not going to lie down and die and neither should you. Get up, renew your mind, allow God to put you on THE Rock, and keep fighting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!