Keep Your Head in the Game!

On Memorial Day my dad called me and we had a good conversation. He reminded me of something I’ve heard him talk about numerous times and I couldn’t help but see the spiritual principles in what he was saying. We were talking about his tour as a grunt soldier in Vietnam and I’ve often heard him tell me that as a soldier you had to “keep your head where you are and not where you want to be.” You could loose your focus, if in combat, and you thought about your family back home. You had a job to do and you had to do it. You couldn’t allow yourself the moments of memories or what it’ll be like when you get home. If you do you can get too comfortable and your head needs to be fighting the war. As horrible as Tet Offensive was in January of 1968 my dad has always said he believed that Tet helped save his life. He’d just come back from R&R with my mom, and his head stayed in R&R. He’s always said that Tet made mentally leave the R&R and brought him back to focus on the war.

As I heard him talking I began to see this same concept as it applies to our every day walk in the Kingdom of God. So often we become so prophetic and goal oriented that living in the moment becomes frustrating. It’s like we focus so much on what God has said is ahead of us, or maybe we focus too much on what is behind us, that we take our head out of the game of where we are right now.

Philippians 3:14 says, “I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”

We need to press on to the goal of what God has called us to. It’s okay to have goals, their great. I’m a very driven person myself. But we have to be okay with were we are in the moment. It’s a delicate balance. We have to renew our mind to what God has spoken in His word. Romans 12:2 says, “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” We renew our mind to all the things we know God has said. But we also realize that it’s a process.

God wants us to fulfill everything He has put into our lives to fulfill. But you must realize there are lessons and life you need to live now. Jesus spent 30 years sweating and working as a carpenter before he walked into his high calling. I’m sure there were things He needed to learn as a carpenter that helped him in ministry. David was anointed to be king years before he ever was king. He had to learn how to live in the now, but keep going towards what God has spoken. Knowing that God really has everything under control is what faith is all about. If I really believe one day some things will break forth for my life, is it really going to upset me if ten people told me no today? Nope, probably not because I know one day it’ll happen. Now is my time to trust God.

Like a soldier in combat if you are so focused on tomorrow you can allow the devil to steal your today’s. God honors faithful people. (Ezekiel 18:9) He is faithful! (1 Thessalonians 5:24) You must live your today’s on purpose and with purpose. No matter how mundane sometimes they can seem. It’ll be hundreds of purpose filled today’s that will get you to your destiny. Purpose filled today’s will bring you to the horizon of your destiny that both God and you long to see. Today is not just another day; it’s a day of destiny and purpose for you. Keep your head in the game, and keep running toward the prize!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!