Dog Hair, Dog Hair, Dog Hair OH MY!

My last blog I spoke of how excited we were to find our couch on Craigslist. While we’re still excited about that find when we got home we got a little surprise. There was dog hair in places of that couch; I’m not sure how it got there. Honestly I grew up around dogs and I’ve never seen a dog that can shed like some of the hair in that couch. I spent a lot of Sunday night scrubbing the couch down in the garage. Dan has continued to work on it and we’ll both get it eventually where we want it. Then we’ll move it to our living room.

We were so excited that we’d found the couch we didn’t notice all the dog hair until after we got it home. As I was scrubbing on it Sunday I began to think how often we relate to the things God is bringing us to like this couch.

We’re excited when a new door opens for us. We rejoice then when we get there we realize there may be some work involved to get it where you want it and we start to grumble.

The Israelites were like this. They were headed to the land of milk and honey. They didn’t expect to have to drive the giants out of the land. They didn’t think “gasp” they’d actually have to work for their milk and honey. Wouldn’t it just be there the minute they showed up at the Promised Land? No. They had to do their part. God did His.

I had the same misconception when I wrote my first book. I assumed that because I finally did the work I would arrive on the scene of the publishing industry and the Red Sea of agents and publishers would split, the red carpet would be rolled out and flashing lights would begin in the honor of my arrival. It didn’t happen that way. I had to persevere.

1 Corinthians 9:24 (NIV)"Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain."

James 1:2-4 (NIV) Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

You have to have perseverance if you’re going to accomplish anything for God. You have to be willing to put forth the effort. Many people constantly choose not to do what God is telling them to do and then they grumble and complain at God because their not where they think their supposed to be in life. That’s not God’s fault. They make those choices.

As a writer I get this conversation from others often. Someone will come up to me and say “God called me to write a book” . I get those emails on a regular basis. This is not a blow to anyone who has ever done this to me. I love trying to use Godly wisdom to motivate others. However my number one question is always, “Where is the book?” So often they hmm and haw, basically they’ve never but forth the effort. Don’t get me wrong there is a time and season for everything, and I personally had my first book on my heart for about 6-7 years before it was written. BUT people need to put forth the effort to do what God is telling them to do. You will not get to your destiny overnight, but these daily choices of moving in that direction all add up. You have to start being obedient and persevere to get where you need to go.

Yes, Dan and I are still excited about our new to us couch. Yes we have a bit more work to do with it than we planned but in the end we’ll persevere and get that couch where we want it so it’ll be perfect for our space. Keep moving forward. Be like Forrest Gump towards the destiny He has for you, and “Run Forrest Run!” Eventually you’ll get there. God loves you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!