Dude, That's My Couch!

Dan and I had been in need of a new couch for quite awhile. Our sofa had long since been broken. Dan continued to try to fix it at various times and it was getting worse and worse. While it still looked nice it really needed replaced. It had become a joke in the house and a bit embarrassing when anyone came over.

About a year ago Dan went couch shopping. We found a sectional we fell in love with, but there was something about it. It just wasn’t the right time and neither of us felt a peace about doing it. I really didn’t want to pay retail for it. I wanted to find one on Craigslist, but the thing with that is Craigslist isn’t always the place to go if you’re particular about what you want.

So the days went on. I didn’t look for a couch consistently but every so often I’d look for one. About a week ago I really started to look. I wasn’t about to get what I didn’t want, but if someone was selling what I wanted then we’d talk.

Two days ago, I answered an add on the website. The price seemed a bit low, and there was no picture. So I figured it wouldn’t be something we’d want but I emailed him and thought why not. Yesterday when the picture was sent, Dan and I both said, “That’s our couch!” So immediately I emailed the guy back and said, “I want it. When can we get it?” Dan and I were already formulating in our heads about renting a U-Haul and picking it up today after church, and then the email came. The owner of the couch had agreed to sell it for $100 more than he was asking and she was getting first dibs. Dan and I were a little disappointed. I thanked him, and at first Dan and I were tempted to offer him more but didn’t feel at peace about doing that. So I emailed him asking him to let me know if the lady didn’t get the couch today.

This morning Dan and I went to church early and came home. We started looking at couches again on Craigslist. We were getting frustrated. The other couch seemed perfect, and was a quarter if that of the price what we would have bought it new.

Finally we both said, “Well, if that’s our couch, then that lady who said she was going to pay more for it isn’t going to show up at his house!” Thirty minutes after the lady was due to arrive I got an email. The seller exclaimed, “If you want it come now!” We did. In the end we paid the original agreed on price, and since he did miss out on an extra $100 I gave him a signed book of the last book I was in. The couch, while it does have a few minor issues, is the couch we wanted. Yes it is used, but I did only pay a quarter of what I would have paid retail. For right now, it meets our needs perfectly.

Psalm 37:4 (NIV)
Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.


While a couch seems minor in the grand scheme of things, God knew what Dan and I wanted, and we got it for an awesome price. People often forget that God loves his people so much that the small things matter to Him too, because they matter to you. God loves you that much.

Luke 12:7 (NIV)
Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

Trust in Him today. He loves you so much that even the small things in your life matter to Him!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!