Lessons from 'The Cake Boss'

My family and I have been watching a lot of ‘The Cake Boss’ recently. It’s a TLC reality show about Carlo’s Bakery in New Jersey. It appeals to both the creative and Italian side of our family. The first two seasons are on Netflix and it’s been a family show that we’ve been enjoying.

There was one episode that we just watched I had to write about. It’s on the first season like the 4th or 5th episode. A bride, who seemed less than thrilled about getting married and there was a lot of stuff that seemed going on with her, decided to show up the day before her wedding and criticize her cake. Buddy who is the main character/decorator of the show left her alone for a couple of moments with the cake to figure out what he could do to fix the cake for her. Despite the fact he’d designed exactly what she and her mom had agreed upon. So she decided that she was going to make a point and took all sorts of colored icing to this beautiful ivory wedding cake. She iced various colors all over it so he couldn’t fix it. She wanted him to make an entirely new cake for her in 24 hours and was making sure he didn’t have a choice.

After my jaw dropped to the floor I began thinking all sorts of things I would have done in his shoes. I’m thinking I wouldn’t make her the new one; I’d deliver the one she messed up on her wedding. I’m thinking forget that, she can go to Wal-Mart and get a sheet cake for her wedding what she did was wrong and disrespectful. Then I was like forget that I’d throw the thing on her. If she wants to act like a 3 year old then call her on it.

Despite of all the scenario’s I formulated in my head Buddy choose to do the mature thing. He made her a new cake in 24 hours, and personally delivered it to the wedding to prove that he could be mature. The bride wouldn’t go talk to him or thank him. He choose to do the right thing even though I’m sure it was difficult for him to do.

Many times in life scenario’s happen where people are just in the wrong. Their rude, and inconsiderate and most of the time it’s easy to have the reaction I did. I’m sure Buddy was going through all those thoughts in his head too. But he choose the high road and did what was right.

Matthew 5: 38-47“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?

Somehow all of us tend to forget the above scripture. It’s easy to forget how we need to treat each other. We have to choose to love people, even if we don’t want to. People won’t always be nice to you. Sometimes you have to realize that they may be going through things you don’t know about and you have to choose to be at peace with them even when you’d rather punch them.

As Kim Clement says, “Jesus choose to love the unlovable, touch the untouchable and reach the unreachable” . So if Jesus made that choice I think we can too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!