Grocery Shopping Argument


Several months ago Dan and I got into a fairly heated argument. Really now the argument seems silly but at the time we were both pretty mad. He wanted to start going grocery shopping with me. I know that it sounds odd that I had such an issue with it. But in my head, I saw it differently. I don’t work a typical 9-5 job, I could go when he was at work and it wasn’t something he needed to be bothered with. I have my couponing, stores, and products down to a science. I didn’t want him coming in and messing with my system. My system works so why mess with something so efficient? I argued my point, and got nowhere. Dan wasn’t moving from his desire to come with me, and I finally had to yield.

Many struggle with this scripture. Ephesians 5:21 (ESV)21 submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ. Sure I could have argued my point for hours, and to be honest I probably argued a bit too long over this. This scripture doesn’t mean you become a doormat. It doesn’t mean you don’t do anything unscriptural. It just means that sometimes you have to swallow your pride and learn how to be humble enough to accept that maybe the other person may have a point and just maybe you need to let it go.

When Dan and I started to take our every other Saturday mornings to go grocery shopping together I didn’t think it would last long, and I expected sparks to start flying over what kind of yogurt and cereal to buy. But actually (Insert Big Breath) Dan was right. It turned out to be something really positive for our family. He’s able to give me ideas over meal planning and budgets. Having his help at the checkout and getting the bags in and out of the car is a huge blessing too. It all worked out and reminded me a valuable lesson.

Remember God has awesome plans for your life. Get excited.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!