Biscuits The Dog Wouldn't Even Eat


 

I do not remember how young I was when this story happened.  I would guess I was probably somewhere between 10-14, but I’m not sure.  I have a bit of a flare for baking.  It’s not that I’m great at it, but give me a recipe and let me go.  Sometimes I enjoy it.  Yes, I confess I can be a ninja mom. 

However for some reason on this particular day I decided I would make biscuits and I flatly refused to follow a recipe.  My dear sweet mother attempted to steer me in the right direction as I randomly grabbed cooking items off the shelf. Flour billowed in the kitchen with whatever else looked or smelled like it should go in the batch.  Surely I didn’t need any recipe.  I could do this on my own.

What resulted that day was something my family and I still laugh hysterically about.  When the “biscuits” came out of the oven they were bad, really bad.  I started to cry.  My mother in feeling sympathy tried to eat one herself and couldn’t do it.  God bless her for trying.  So I cried harder.  Then we attempted to give the rock hard dough blobs to our dog, who would eat anything, and even he turned his nose up at them.  I bawled because no one liked my ‘creative genius’.  Obviously I got over the drama, but needless to say I learned to follow a recipe.

Many people approach life like this in regards to the word of God.  They might know enough of the Bible that they think something should go in the mix, but they aren’t following a ‘recipe’ per se.  They grab at this teaching and that one over there because it sounds like it should work, but in the end they come up with their own version of a gospel that’s completely miss matched.  The recipe book, or Bible/The Word of God, is there for a reason.  God has seen the end from the beginning and He knows what will work.  You can’t make biscuits to come out right and completely ignore some of the main ingredients.  You don’t get to pick and choose what you want to eliminate because just like my biscuit creation, it just won’t work. 

Revelations 22:18-19 (The MSG)  I give fair warning to all who hear the words of the prophecy of this book: If you add to the words of this prophecy, God will add to your life the disasters written in this book; if you subtract from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will subtract your part from the Tree of Life and the Holy City that are written in this book.

God doesn’t say these things because He is on some kind of power trip.  He says these things because it’s just like a recipe.  Because I choose to follow my own will, without having NO real experience as a chef and didn’t understand how things worked, my way didn’t work.  It is important that you know the word of God.  It’s important that you understand what it says, and not just what you want it to say.  It’s important that you study to show yourself approved.

Joshua 1:8 (ESV) This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

            Remember He has awesome plans for your life.  Get excited!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!