He Is the I Am!


            It was an early morning this morning.  Dan typically works 2nd shift, but for a list of reasons, he’s working 1st for the next several weeks.  While Dan had the choice as to when to start his time on 1st he opted to work 2nd yesterday, and 1st today which gave him roughly 4 hours of sleep.  I always do my best to stay up with him.  So this morning I went to bed at 1 am and was up with him at 5am. 
            It was in this ‘I am half asleep’ moment that something popped into my mind.  I think God loves to speak to people in that half asleep stage because they know they are too tired to conjure anything or block themselves from hearing from God.  What I felt I heard God say is in reference to this exchange in the Bible.
Exodus 3:13-15 (ESV)
13 Then Moses said to God, “If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what shall I say to them?” 14 God said to Moses, “I am who I am.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel, I am has sent me to you.’” 
            In the passage above God had appeared to Moses in a burning bush and is calling Moses to deliver the children of Israel out of Egypt.  Personally God calling himself the ‘I am who I am’ always has seemed a tad odd to me.  It seemed vague.
            This morning in my half sleepy stage, something seemed to just connect about this.  Notice here God doesn’t say, “I was who I was.”  Or He doesn’t say, “I am going to be who I am going to be.”  The tense of God saying “I am who I am” implies that everything He is, is in the NOW moment.  He wasn’t just in the past, or in the future.  He is the ‘I am’ in the here and now.
            The definition of the word ‘now’ is a present time or moment. God uses the word now in another key scripture that seemed to jump in my mind.
Hebrews 11:1
[ By Faith ] Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
            When God declares that he is the ‘I Am’ He’s saying ‘He is everything now’.  He is always being sufficient for us in the Now.  He will never be too late or too early.  He already has and has done everything we need.  Now faith believes it’s already done.  He is the “I am who I am.” He is that in your life now!

            I hope you grab a hold of that and get just as excited as I did in that moment.  Of course I had to take a nap after Dan left for work before I wrote it down for all of you.  (grin.)  I believe that God is doing some super cool things in all of your lives.  Remember God has awesome plans for your life.  Get excited!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!