Are you suffering from Prophetic Dyslexia?

This afternoon as I sat to read my Bible I felt this bubble up inside of me and as much as I tried to put it off to write it down tomorrow I really felt I had to do it today. Therefore, I pray it blesses someone.

Hearing the voice of God is completely normal! God created humanity to be able to talk to and spend time with Him. Sadly, the concept of God speaking to us as people has been really twisted in these days, but the Bible is clear on the matter.

John 10:27 (NIV)
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.


I always say that all the prophetic is: is being able to hear the voice of God whether it is for your life or someone else’s.

Dyslexia is defined by the World English Dictionary as, “impaired ability to understand written language: a learning disorder marked by a severe difficulty in recognizing and understanding written language, leading to spelling and writing problems. It is not caused by low intelligence or brain damage.”

It seems to me that there are many people in the world today that are suffering from prophetic dyslexia. I’m not trying to be derogatory by saying this, but listen to me for a moment.

God often speaks in words or a language that is a bit different than ours. Meaning? In Genesis 37 Joseph has two dreams. One is about all of these sheaves of grain bowing to his sheave, and another where the sun moon and eleven stars bowed down to him. Those dreams were from God, but was God saying literally sheaves of grain and the stars were going to bow to Joseph? No. God was using the sheaves and stars as symbols that one day Joseph would be in a position of authority to his brothers and eventually he was in the place.

God often speaks through dreams, visions, prophetic words and it is very important that we listen to His interpretation instead of our interpretation. When we shove our own meaning onto whatever He says, we are becoming prophetically dyslexic. We are trying to make whatever He saying fit in what we think it should. We are twisting what God is saying. Somewhere it is getting lost in translation, and I assure you the problem is not with God.

About 13 years ago, I was in a situation where I had done just that. I was sure of some situations and was sure then whatever dream, vision, or word I got I manipulated them to mean what I thought they did. Later I saw God completely turn the situation around, but I see now where while the words did come to pass. They came to pass differently than what I thought God was saying.

For example in Genesis 16, there is the story of Abraham and Sarah. God promises that they will have children. God even goes on to say that, Abraham’s decedents will out number the stars in the sky. They get older and older and older. Sarah gets frustrated so she tells Abraham to have a baby with her maid so Ishmael is created. Ishmael is never God’s chosen child. Ishmael was a fruit of frustration. Later Sarah conceives and has Isaac.

Many times, we hear the things that God is saying and we act so much like this story. In our heads we say, “fine God if you aren’t going to do this in my timing then I’ll do it myself and I’ll make it happen!” In the end, doing things out of frustration will only bring sorrow.

When Jesus was born there hundreds of prophetic words about the Messiah in order for him to be the Messiah he had to do. The Messiah had to be born in Bethlehem, come from Egypt and be a Nazarene. Do you honestly think Joseph had the ability to set with an ancient scroll in his hand and chart out all the places he had to move his family in order for these prophesies to come to pass? No! Joseph did what the Spirit of the Lord told him to and the words were fulfilled. His job was just to do what God told him to do. God made the rest work.

There is a prophetic dyslexic trap in the kingdom today and it’s causing frustration to spread like an unwanted fruit. If you find yourself constantly frustrated then where is your peace?

Real faith is not a roller coaster ride of emotions. I’ve seen this happen in the church too often. It’s not a I got a prophetic word so I’m on cloud nine but the next day nothing happens that we see yet so I’m back in the pit, and the next night God gives me a dream I’m up again and the next I’m down. Real faith is constant. It’s consistent and it doesn’t waver.

If you find yourself in the prophetic dyslexic trap then get out! It’s that easy. You have to retrain your thinking. Ask the Lord to show you what He is saying to you, and choose to stop trying to flip around his words to manipulate it into what you think. His ways are not always our ways. We have to get to know Him in order to be able to rightly discern what He’s saying. I believe that the key to a mature walk with God is simply trust. We have to learn to trust Him beyond what we think and see. We have to choose to trust Him beyond our circumstances. We have to learn to trust Him that He has a way even when we don’t see it. We have to trust Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Spiritual Motion Sickness?

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!