Nacho Cheese Sweater

In the fourth grade me along with many of my friends would go and hang out at the local roller skating rink on the weekend. There was one particular afternoon that I decided to wear a primarily white sweater with light blue stripes. There was a particular boy that “liked me” and I was trying to look cool. I had just gone to the food court with my friends and had purchased some nachos. Throw a bunch of kids on roller skates who are already awkward and you get even more shaky movements. Some girl, I have no idea who it was now backed into me with my nacho’s in hand, and I lost by balance. Eventually I wore that nacho cheese. I wore it not just a little bit, but wore it as a giant round circle in front of my stomach. No amount of water helped it get out. The circle just grew like a giant blob. When you 9 years-old and your trying to look cool slow dancing with a boy at the couples skate it’s pretty hard when you have a giant cheesy stain on your sweater.

It would and could have been very easy for me to get angry and grumpy at the girl who backed into me. It’s funny that I remember what happened but I’m not even sure who it was who ran into me causing this fiasco. This girl I’m sure felt bad. She didn’t mean to hit me causing nacho cheese to fly. It was an accident and thing happen. You have to learn in life to laugh at yourself. Laugh at the situation. Don’t get so stressed out over the small stuff. I think we get so up tight sometimes while we go through life and we always have to remember it’s okay to laugh at ourselves. Things happen.

Matthew 6:25-34 (MSG)

"If you decide for God, living a life of God-worship, it follows that you don't fuss about what's on the table at mealtimes or whether the clothes in your closet are in fashion. There is far more to your life than the food you put in your stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body. Look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, careless in the care of God. And you count far more to him than birds. "Has anyone by fussing in front of the mirror ever gotten taller by so much as an inch? All this time and money wasted on fashion—do you think it makes that much difference? Instead of looking at the fashions, walk out into the fields and look at the wildflowers. They never primp or shop, but have you ever seen color and design quite like it? The ten best-dressed men and women in the country look shabby alongside them.
"If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. "Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.


That is some of my favorite passages of scripture. Don’t sweat the small stuff. It’ll all work out. As mortifying wearing nacho cheese was to me at the time, now it’s a funny story.

It isn’t worth it to get so bent out of shape over the small things in life. Take a deep breath. Sadly little things like this can cause the worst strife and divisions amongst friends and family. In the end does it really matter? It was an accident move on.

Remember today life is so short, make count. Don’t spend your days being so uptight that you don’t enjoy it. God’s got everything under control, but you have to trust Him. He has your best interest at heart, remember that!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Spiritual Motion Sickness?

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!