You Can't Substitute Sugar for Flour

As a kid there was a particular oatmeal cookie recipe that we would make often. Depending on what was in the house we might change the recipe a bit but it would primarily be the same recipe. One particular instance I got this hankering (May not be a real word but it is in my vocabulary) for oatmeal cookies and I fled to the pantry to pull out the ingredients. My mom hadn’t realized we were almost out of flour, and only the remnants of about ½ a cup lay in the bottom of the container. Reason told me that I should abandon my craving. But we had plenty of sugar. I mean I could just substitute sugar for the flour. They were both white. . .it should work right? For those of you chefs you’re probably laughing at me by now. Just because I thought they looked the same, didn’t mean they were. What I did instead of making oatmeal cookies that day was managed to make a huge melting oozing mess on the pan. It ended up being more like oatmeal flavored lollypop melted across the metal. Sugar can’t be substituted for flour.

Many people view the things of God like this. When they can’t get the Word of God to stretch to the things they think it says then they try to substitute a worldly view with it. It’s like their mixing some of God’s words with the words of the world and think it will all turn out okay. I am hear to tell you today that’s not true. You can’t mix God’s Words with what the world says. What you’ll end up with is a mess.

Galatians 5:9 (NKJV)
“A little leaven leavens the whole lump.”


Meaning thinking that is okay to compromise a little and add a little of a worldly view to the things of God will affect you’re entire walk with God.

The Bible warns at various times not to be deceived.

James 1:16
“Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren.”


Deception is the favorite tool of the enemy. Deception is when you believe that what you’re doing right. Just like I believed that because both flour and sugar were white it wouldn’t make a difference but I was wrong. It did. Taking on a worldly view of things even if in your mind is just a little bit will make a difference. You can’t add the ungodly to the Godly and think it will work. Even if you think it might look the same. It isn’t.

Consider it this way. If I was a pitcher of hot water, and burning under me was the fire and passion of God, and I began allowing drops of cold water to put out the fire under me and slowly add to the hot water what is going to happen? Soon I won’t be hot anymore. I’d be lukewarm. God doesn’t want a lukewarm church.

Revelation 3:15-16
“I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot.So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.”

When you don’t know what God is really saying on the matter of what the Biblical view is, then seek the Word. Find it out. Seek the Lord. Seek Godly council. But you must be honest with yourself and stop trying to mix the two. The Bible cannot be treated like a smorgasbord. You don’t have the option to pick and choose the way you think it ought say.

1 Peter 5:8
“Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.”


I want to encourage you all today to examine yourselves. Seek God to anything in you that you’ve tried to substitute what God really said on the matter vs. what you had in your pantry already. You can’t water down the gospel to meet your own opinions. You can’t manipulate it to try to make it work. I say this out of love. We all need to check ourselves. Because if we do keep trying to make it work and substitute the false for the true, What you’re going to end up with is a big mess. I don’t know about you but I have never found a mess fun to clean up. Be encouraged today. God is a good God that loves you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!