But I can't do that!

Yesterday I had to travel across town into an area that we used to frequent but sense we moved six years ago closer to Dan’s job and church we’re not over there nearly as much.

As I passed one particular building I had to laugh. I remember when Dan and I first moved to Central FL I had been trying to apply for jobs and this one company had called me in for a sales job. After doing research about them I discovered that it was a pyramid that appeared to me to be a cult at its top. I declined the interview. Something didn’t seem right about it. About a year after that Dan and I were in a place where I had looked around again and a company with a different name asked for an interview so I went in. What I found was a group presentation situation, and I was seated at the front of that presentation. The more the woman in front of me started to talk the more I realized it was the cult company. They had just changed their name. I looked around the room there were at least 15 interviewees in the room. I was getting nervous.

“God what do I do?” I kept asking the Holy Spirit in my mind.

His response was very clear, “Get up and walk out!” There was no if, ands, or buts about what he was saying. It was a clear direction.

“But, I can’t do that?” I argued. I was setting in the front row.

“Get up and walk out!” Again with clarity I felt it again.

“God, that would be rude!” Internally I struggled. Then finally the resolve came. Who do I fear more. . .God or man? I nicely smiled and b-lined it for the elevator doors. I had thought I was home free with out much of an interference until one of the interviewers stopped me at the elevator doors. I think I mumbled something about “this job isn’t for me” and hit the elevator button a few more times.

By the time I got out of that office and into the elevator I think I was shaking. Something had not been right about the atmosphere of that place, and God’s mercy got me out of there.

Most of you have probably heard me quote one of my favorite scriptures several times.

Isaiah 30:21 (NIV)21 Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.”

That’s one of the many things I love about God. He doesn’t expect you to go through life on your own. He’ll tell you which way is the best for you to go. But you have to listen to Him when He speaks. Most often we do the same thing I did in my head that day. We set and argue with God. We list off our excuses like one would repeat a shopping list: It’s too hard, I can’t do it, What about my reputation, everyone will look at me like I’m crazy, I can’t do it like that?

We have to honor God over we would honor man. We have to go forward saying “I’m going to do whatever God tells me to do no matter what.” At the end of the day, when I stand before God I’m going to have to give an account for my life. I don’t want to have to look at him and say, “Sorry, I just feared men more than I feared you.” I am not perfect at this, but daily I’m trying to be better. Think about this in your own life. Are you fearing God more or man?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!