Do You Know Where The Police Are Waiting?

In the mornings, I typically drive to drop my daughter off to school. There is this one corner that that police love to wait for unsuspecting parents who might be going slightly over the speed limit. That same man will walk out on the street and step in front of your car to stop you and ticket you. He pulled me over once several years back. Fortunately all I got was a strong warning and a fix-a-ticket. (A fix-a-ticket is a rather inexpensive fine and I had to go get a new proof of registration because the one I had in my car was out of date.) He could have really fined me but choose not too. Every time I pass that corner, I think of how the police like to park there and pick the parents up on the way to school. So having my history, and knowing their like that I purposely drive very slowly at that corner. I do not want to be pulled over again.

This morning there was a police officer out there waiting, but because I know they like to wait there I am overly cautious there. However, like most of us who are honest, I do not always go out of my way to obey every traffic sign and have my moments. I mean really, there cannot be a police officer on every corner.

I was thinking about a similar scenario in the Bible as it relates to this.

Matthew 24:45-51 (MSG)45-47"Who here qualifies for the job of overseeing the kitchen? A person the Master can depend on to feed the workers on time each day. Someone the Master can drop in on unannounced and always find him doing his job. A God-blessed man or woman, I tell you. It won't be long before the Master will put this person in charge of the whole operation. 48-51"But if that person only looks out for himself, and the minute the Master is away does what he pleases—abusing the help and throwing drunken parties for his friends—the Master is going to show up when he least expects it and make hash of him. He'll end up in the dump with the hypocrites, out in the cold shivering, teeth chattering."

We don’t know what tomorrow will bring. We don’t know every corner a police officer likes to stand on, so wisdom tells us we should obey traffic laws so we aren’t pulled over. We don’t know how close we are to the end times. Jesus could come back today, or he could ten years from now, or twenty years. Likewise, wisdom tells us since we don’t know we shouldn’t slack. We should keep our eyes toward heaven and live as if it is today.

What are we doing when no one is watching? Are we slacking off or are we still living our lives as if they are? God does see your every move, and every part of your day. You can’t live your life, as He’s not watching because I assure you He is watching you. He loves you, but you have to realize that the Bible says we don’t know when He will return. Keep your eyes on heaven! Don’t be like the rebellious servant who says, “He’s not here now so I might as well party.” That’s dangerous ground. Pray and ask the Lord if there is anywhere you’ve done this. God has great plans for your life. So stick with it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!