Don't Be A Plastic Action Figure

Recently I was reflecting on something in the kingdom that I wanted to share. We hear it preached over and over again that saying your in faith isn’t enough to please God. The Bible is pretty clear about this.

James 2:26 (NIV)
For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.


This really if you think about it this concept makes perfect sense. It’s not really faith unless you’ve moved forward and acted upon it. People do these kinds of things all the time. When you talk to them they might say they are believing God to do a mighty work in their not doing anything about it. For example, I could feel God’s calling me to be a doctor, but I have to go to medical school for that to happen. Also the Bible is pretty clear that we need to show love and compassion to the world around us. It’s not really showing our faith or living out our faith if we have five extra dollars with no purpose in our pocket and we see a bum on the street and we’d rather kick him and keep going. Works are showing love and compassion. It’s being Jesus to the hurting world around us.

The problem that happens a lot in Christian World, is that people take this scripture about faith without works is dead and so they go around as if a plastic action hero trying to do all these things for the kingdom. Their wearing a mask. They pretend like the care when really they don’t. Their being showy making sure everyone knows their works. It’s like they have become a plastic figure. Their poseable and look perfect on the outside, but deep down the works are just a performance. It can be easy to get caught up in this plastic Christian lifestyle, but ask yourself deep down do I really care? Where is my compassion?

1 Corinthians 3:13 (Amp)
13The work of each [one] will become [plainly, openly] known (shown for what it is); for the day [of Christ] will disclose and declare it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test and critically appraise the character and worth of the work each person has done.

2 Corinthians 5:10 (NIV)
10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.


God isn’t interested in plastic works people. Do you know what will happen if I threw a bunch of plastic action hero’s in the fire? They’d be a melted puddle of plastic. They wouldn’t be good for anything.

We’ll all have to stand before God one day and give an account for what we did and didn’t do on this earth. I for one don’t want everything I thought I accomplished on the earth to burn into a puddle of plastic. I want my life to have some kind of lasting substance. Not because I’m so great, because I’m not. But because it was Him in me all along. I want my life to have some kind of meaning.

Don’t be a plastic action figure in the kingdom. Be real. Be real before others, and be real with yourself. There is a generation of people out there tired of plastic Christianity. They need to see real people, who have real struggles, and serve a real God. God sees you. God knows if your works are plastic or real. Get real with yourself, and ask the Lord to show you your motivation. You’ll be glad you did. God loves you. He wants what is best for you!



****The funny thing about this blog is I was going to write it last week. I couldn’t find the scriptures I wanted. I looked for too long for them, and decided if I couldn’t find them then I’d wait to write the blog. Sunday at the 9am service Pastor Greg preached on the scripture I had been looking for, so I wrote the blog! Love it when the Holy Spirit does those kinds of things. Umber props to the Jesus in Pastor Greg.****

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!