But We Don't Use That Part!

The other day we were on our way out the door to church and my youngest daughter was reading the Ten Commandments and all of a sudden she piped up and said when she got to #2

“We don’t use that one.”

“What?” I questioned her. I think something’s had gotten a little twisted up in her cute little brain. I tried to understand where she’d gotten the idea we weren’t using the 2nd commandment and didn’t get very far. The best understanding I have come up with is that often when the girls have watched shows we’ve explained maybe certain things a cartoon is doing why we don’t practice it or celebrate it and what the Bible says on the matter. Somewhere she’d gotten the impression she could do that with the Bible too. I explained to her we couldn’t. The Bible wasn’t just some grand buffet that we could pick and choose the parts we wanted to follow and what one didn’t want to. I’m pretty sure she understands it now, though it may warrant for a few more conversations later.

Sadly many people like my daughter mistake that they think they can do that with the Bible. I’m always shocked at what people think they are justified doing because they really want to and then try to justify it by misquoting the word of God.

While my standpoint may not be a popular one here, we can’t just pick and choose what we like and what we don’t like.

Revelation 22:19 (NKJV) and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

If I were being completely honest I’ll admit there have been times in my walk with the Lord that either I’ve had issue with something it said or I didn’t understand it. In those cases the answer is quite clear, ask the Lord for revelation on that matter. Seek other scriptures about it, and asking for wise council isn’t a bad idea either. The funny thing is, that every time I have issue like that with something in the Word, God is just setting me up to give me a deeper revelation on the matter. If you will seek it out. He’ll explain it to you.

Remember He has awesome plans for your life. Get excited.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!