Jelly Belly Faith



             
The summer of 1998 was a rough few months for me.  I was living at OSU going to school for summer quarter and had a lot of personal moments of turmoil. Of the many things going on, I had to move to another side of campus because it was summer quarter and thus had to get used to living somewhere else.  I didn’t react well to a lot of the drama going on around me, so I didn’t adjust that quarter as well as I should have.  Despite the fact my parents paid for a meal card (Sorry mom, still a sore spot in conversations) I didn’t really ever go that quarter to eat and I think I lived that summer off of Ramen Noodles, Beef Jerky, Pop Tarts, and Jelly Belly’s.  Obviously this wasn’t a healthy choice, though I suppose I could have the foursome petitioned to be the 4 food groups of college life.  Honestly I think that summer my body kicked into survival overdrive mode, and while I survived I certainly didn’t thrive.  Don’t get me wrong.  I love Jelly Belly’s.  It’s amazing so much yummy can be packed into such a little jelly bean.  However, you can’t live off of them. 
            
 Many people live life spiritually like I did that summer.  Their going through the motions and trying to pick and choose what parts of the Bible they’ll feed off of.  Sometimes people try to hold on to something, so they hold tightly to a couple good scriptures, but they are barely surviving spiritually.  You need to do more than survive on this earth but you need to thrive.  You need to move forward and allow yourself to mature in the Lord.  You can’t just pick and choose the “good and sugary” parts to live off of, but choose to believe in the whole package.  Yes, sometimes you have to partake in spiritual Brussels sprouts.  :-)
           
1Peter 2:2 Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation,

Revelation 22:19 (NIV) And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll.

             
You have to move from the things that just tickle your ears and taste good.  You have to stop picking and choosing the parts of the Bible you want to believe in so that it will make you feel better in the moment. 
             
When you stand on the Word of God, God makes you a promise.
           
 Joshua 1:7-9 ““Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”
             
When you keep the book on your lips, then you will be successful.  You will move past the point of merely surviving in life.  You’ll move past the point of living off “Jelly Belly’s” and you’ll begin to thrive.  Despite how yummy Jelly Belly’s are, you can’t live off Jelly Belly’s alone, and you can just live off a few choice scriptures.  You have to begin to press forward!  You have to begin to move from infancy in the Lord to Maturity in Him.
           
 Remember God has awesome plans for your life.  Get excited!
           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!