Playing Tennis in the Dark?



       
    
When I was in college two dear friends of mine and I decided we wanted to play tennis.  Living on the Ohio State University campus allows access to a large amount of courts.  Though I’m not hugely athletic I love playing tennis, volleyball, etc.  So I was all for finding a place we could play that night.  But the problem wasn’t us playing.  The problem was that it was already night and we couldn’t find a tennis court that was lit up.  After walking around campus we finally opted to try to play in the dark.  It’s not like it was pitch black out.  We had the light of the moon and the sound of each other’s voices. 

            While I’m certainly not a tennis pro, playing tennis in the dark is a humbling experience.  You don’t actually see the ball until its right at you.  Then by the time you can swing it’s almost too late.  Most of the time we didn’t see the ball at all.  We got frustrated and while we all laughed a good laugh over it, we really couldn’t play well in the dark.  I don’t remember our game lasting too long.  We just eventually gave up. 

            Several times throughout the New Testament a phrase or phrases is used about “he who has eyes to see let him see” or “Ears to hear let him hear” or those that “keep on seeing but don’t see.”  (Matt 13:9, Romans 11:8, etc)  I used to think that was a tad redundant.  I mean really God if a person can see aren’t they seeing.  I don’t get it. 

            It took me awhile but finally I “saw” (pun intended) what God was trying to say in all these times.  He’s saying its like when we were playing tennis in the dark.  People are in the game, they think they know what to do, but the lights aren’t turned on.  Many people are like us playing tennis in the dark.  They are in the room, but they don’t really see what’s going on.

            I try very hard to be a denominational bridge for many.  If you’ve read my writing for any length of time you’ll know I’ve been uniquely fashioned for that: grew up Lutheran, went to a Methodist church a bit, went to a Baptist youth group for years, was baptized in the Holy Spirit in high school, and addicted to hearing the voice of God and the prophetic as a young adult.  I do think its past time for all of us to stop arguing over who has the whole picture, and come into unity and get along.  I am not trying to use this blog to rehash this discussion, but I do want to talk about the importance of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer.

            Imagine if you will God creates a room.  It is through salvation that you get in that room, but it’s through the Holy Spirit that the lights get turned on.  Many people are living their lives with the lights shut off.  They cannot see where they are going or what is going on, it’s no wonder their frustrated.  So what happens?  They give up quickly, they don’t realize that God has so much for them, and they go through life blinded by the darkness. 

            I want to put out a challenge to you today.  Is the light turned on in your life?  Are you listening for the Holy Spirit in your life?  Or are you living in the darkness.  If you find the latter is true, all you have to do is ask God to open up your eyes to His presence.  Ask the Holy Spirit to come in and reveal himself to you.  The presence of God will change your life if you let it, let God open your eyes (Luke 24:45-47). If you've found your eyesight growing dim ask God for a new touch of His presence.  Let the light be turned up in your life!

            Remember God has awesome thing for your life.   Get  excited!

           


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Spiritual Motion Sickness?

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!