Remembering God's Faithfulness/Moving Forward

Last Sunday we visited a friend’s church because they were celebrating the 12th anniversary of their church.  This church is only minutes from where we used to live across town.  We decided between services we’d drive through our old stomping grounds to show the kids the old neighborhood.  Memories and stories came rushing back.  I think the kids were humoring us more than anything.  We moved here when my oldest was 4 and my youngest wasn’t even born yet.  But nevertheless, we kept telling story after story of how God had been faithful to us in one situation or another.  We saw the door that my youngest locked me out of the house and when she couldn’t figure out how to unlock it I had to get a neighbor to break in.  We saw the sidewalk where the man on a red bicycle stopped me to hand me money once when we’d had no groceries in the house because of a faith seed we’d sown, but he didn’t know that.  We laughed about how we’d been set to buy the house and then the work at where my husband had worked at the time ran out and three days before closing technically he lost his job, and we bought it without either of us being employed. 

As those stories came to us we began to be reminded at how faithful God has been in our lives.  We could see and laugh at situations time and time again where He had come through for us.  There is a lot of teaching out there about moving forward and forgetting the past.  That’s 100% true.  You put the past behind you. You put all the sin, shame, and condemnation back there and don’t look back.  But all the amazing things He has done you need to tell those stories.  You need to tell your children of how faithful God has been to you.  You have to tell them those stories.  If you don’t tell them, how will they ever know?  How will they ever see God’s faithfulness not just in the Bible but in action of everyday life?

Joel 1:3 Tell it to your children, and let your children tell it to their children, and their children to the next generation.

During our trip down memory lane a song that has special meaning was coincidently played at the service.  The song “Moving Forward” means a lot to me.  The year that my Mentor and dear friend passed our church onto new leadership he played it whenever he could.  He even gave me the CD.  The day that he moved in with Jesus and left the earth, I played that song on repeat as a bawled.  When I showed up to church on Sunday and that song was being played, I cried knowing what God was saying to me. 

You have to remember His faithfulness, but you also have to move forward.  It’s not easy.  It’s not comfortable, but faith rarely is comfortable.  But faith is what gets God excited.  Faith is what gets things rolling.  I’m not suggestion stupidity.  Faith and stupidity are two different things.  Faith is when you step out in doing what you know that you know to do, even if it doesn’t make sense.

Hebrews 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
            
             Here’s the song:  http://youtu.be/AQfc7iQecw8 I hope that you listen to it and remember God is faithful to you. 
           
 God has awesome plans for your life.  Get excited!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Spiritual Motion Sickness?

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!