Really, My Child Did Not Just Say that. . . Did she?


            A few weeks ago my youngest and I were in a grocery store parking lot and there was a guy in a car with the windows rolled down smoking a cigarette. His car happened to be parked right next to mine. The whole scene looked like something out of a 1970’s street movie because there was smoke billowing coming out of the car.  My youngest shares something with most outspoken children; she has no filter for these things. 
            
            Loudly as she walked over to our car she exclaimed, “Mommy!  That man is smoking!”  As if she was the damsel in distress in a cheesy 1950’s horror movie.  Maybe I’m exaggerating a tad but it certainly felt like it.  Sure I’m glad she knows that smoking is bad for the health of people, however I wanted to crawl into my trunk and close the door at that moment.  Instead I forced on a mom smile.  You know the mom smile I’m talking about, the one that screams, ‘Did my child just say that?  I know you heard it?  I am so sorry.” Kind of smile and walked to my car.
            
           As I drove away that day I began to think about the times I’m sure I’ve done the same thing to God.  He loves us unconditionally but I know I have said things at times that though were well meaning and correct didn’t come across in the best manner.  I am set free from ‘Open Mouth Insert Food Disorder’ really I am, and I’m sure God has looked at me from heaven a few times shaking his head thinking, “Yup, she’s mine, and she’s working on tact.”
            
            I’ve been trying to work hard on the following scripture lately, Proverbs 15:1  says “a gentle answer stirs up wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.”  I think if we all would learn to put a guard over our mouths it would stop a lot of division that goes on in the world.  I’ll admit I’ve had my moments of immaturity in this area.  But I’m trying to get better.  I want God to see me and not to be embarrassed, but I’d rather Him say, ‘Look!  That’s my girl!’ 
            
           May we all set a guard over our mouths (Psalms 141:3), because we want to be truthful and honest, however we also need to show love in the process.  Remember words are an important thing.  God spoke the world into existence.  Life and death are in the power of the tongue (Proverbs 18:21), and we all need to learn to watch what we’re saying.
            
           Remember God has awesome plans for your life.  Get excited.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!