Back at Firestone



This afternoon Dan, the girls, and I found ourselves behind the counter of a Firestone store/shop. The time had long since come for us to replace the front tires on our car. Tire buying is up there with one of those ‘necessary grownup purchases that one has to make but who really wants to’ with me. I mean I know I’m a guest minister with a book tour coming up and the idea of keeping bald tires on the car isn’t a good idea. So we bit the bullet and went to get them replaced. The funny thing is that as we left the car there and walked to the mall, I had a flashback of another time where we spent a lot of time in a Firestone store.

It was Christmastime 2000. I think it may have been only a few days before Christmas and I sat in the uncomfortable waiting area almost in tears. Dan and I had only moved into Central Florida a few weeks prior, and the likelihood we were going to have any family or friends to spend the holidays with was slim to none. We’d gone to a Firestone to have the breaks done on the car but there kept being issues with them (which I will add here Firestone did eventually fix the issues) but at that moment I was waiting for the umpteenth time in their waiting area. The smell of motor oil mixed with the smell of old carpet lingered in the air. I was about two months pregnant for our oldest daughter. Whoever had left on the TV left it on the holiday special of The Lawrence Welk Show reruns. I felt desperately alone, and questioning God for the millionth time why we couldn’t just go back to live around our families.

It’s funny but I hadn’t thought about those hours I spent in Firestone with the garland and ornaments scotch taped to the ceiling in years, but today I did. Waves of gratefulness began to wash over me like a sea of memories. While Dan and I certainly haven’t arrived yet, I couldn’t help but be so thankful He’d brought us through everything He has. It’s funny sometimes when you walk through life it can be so scary in the moment yet, when you look back on it you can’t deny His hand of faithfulness had been with you the whole time. Which makes me wonder as I look to the future why do I struggle believing He’ll get us through that hurdle or this hurdle? We have all had moments of questioning uncertainty. But I think it’s what you do with those moments. Do you choose to cower, or do you choose to boldly rise up and know He’d come through for you in the past and He’s certain to do it again.

Hebrews 11:11 (NKJV)
By faith Sarah herself also received strength to conceive seed, and she bore a child when she was past the age, because she judged Him faithful who had promised.

God is faithful! He doesn’t let down His children. He hasn’t let me done, and He’s not going to let you down! You can rest assured that He brought you this far and He’s going to fulfill what He said He would. You can be at peace and know He Is Faithful! Spend some time reflecting on the things you know He’s brought you through in your life. Remember even if you’re not where you want to be yet…you’re not where you were. He is faithful! He has awesome plans for your life. Get excited!!!!

***BTW, Oh my goodness! Can you believe the retail release date of my book is coming up on the 20th!!! Remember, please keep passing on the information to everyone you know about my book. This is beyond just selling a book to me. I believe in the message. I believe it’s a very NOW word for the church as a whole and needs to be shared. Super Smiles! ***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!