On Top The World With Both Feet

I’m getting ready this morning to go to a funeral. I have to admit I don’t like funerals. There is no fun in funerals. But I’m struck again with how fragile and fleeting life is on this earth. Pastor Hank served for several years as the associate pastor of Freedom. Dan and I were he and his wife’s armourbearers for five of those years. While he and I weren’t that close in the last few years of his life, I am saddened by his loss. Among some of Pastor Hank’s famous catch phrases were “I’m on top the world with both feet.” and “What’s happening good?” He was a man who loved being a pastor and genuinely loved people. His life was cut too short. Life is so short, and eternity is so long. I realize funerals are merely closure for the people left here on the earth. I know that Pastor Hank is now rejoicing in heaven. I know that my spiritual father, mentor and friend Pastor Arthur met him at the gates and together they are praising Jesus, and rejoicing once more. James 4:14 (NIV) “Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.” Just a few moments ago I was going through my girls’ clothing trying to pick out what would be suitable for them to wear at this funeral. I found myself stressing out over the messes that they had created, and grumbling at what wouldn’t match. The futility of it all struck me. I understand the girls need to look decent, but is it really worth me stressing out over? Matthew 6:27 (NIV) “Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life ?” So today I will remember the beauty of a life that was “on top the world with both feet.” I will try not to stress over the small things. I will try to find celebration in the ending of a life, and joy for where Pastor Hank is now. Life is so short. Wherever you are, I encourage you to make it a good one and to make it count. Remember God does have awesome plans for your life. Get Excited!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!