But It's Easier!



My youngest daughter has wanted to be a paleontologist for several years.  At only age 7 I expect that she’ll change her mind several times over and that’s fine.  We want to give her the freedom to choose and be whatever she feels God is leading her in life.  We’ve tried to encourage her love of dinosaurs through various ways; even by last years ‘Dinosaur Dig Birthday Party.’  So when she came home several months ago suddenly declaring she wanted to be a ‘Jewelry Designer’, I was a little bit sad that the paleontology phase of her life had ended.  I didn’t question it much, but tried to think of ways I could encourage her in this.

It’s amazing what parents can learn about their children in long car rides.  On our way up to Windsor Canada from Central Ohio a few weeks ago, somehow the conversation got shifted to my daughter and this sudden shift to ‘Jewelry Designer’.

“Mom, it’s my choice.”

“Sweetie, I’m not saying you can’t do this.   I’m just curious why you decided you’d rather be a jewelry designer versus a paleontologist?”

“Well, I have to go to school a long time to be a paleontologist.  I don’t want to be in school that long.”  We were the one that told her she’d have to get her PhD to go into paleontology.  I guess she had been listening.  “It’s my choice mom!”  She started to get really defensive.

“It is your choice,” I was trying not to laugh from the front seat as I yelled to the back, “However, don’t ever make a choice in life over what you want to do based on ease.  If something is important to you, then it’s worth taking the effort.”  I wasn’t sure she’d really heard me.  She was so quick to defend herself.  I ended it with a quick, “As long as you’re doing what you feel God has for you, then go for it, no matter what it is.”  The conversation continued onto something else.  However I noticed in the next few days, she suddenly swayed back to paleontology.  Though I figure it’ll probably change again, I hope she doesn’t make any major life choices based on ease.

Many people do this in their own life.  They think they know what God has called them to do, suddenly start doing it and realize that it may be too hard.  They start compromising, justifying to themselves that it’s their choice, and before they know it they are far from where they knew they were supposed to be life.  They are miserable and upset at God, when really it was the choices they made.

Proverbs 12:27 (MSG) A lazy life is an empty life, but “early to rise” gets the job done.

            Never be afraid to put in some good hard work in life.  Lazy people aren’t ones that create legacies.  They aren’t ones that reach their destiny.  Putting hard work into something on faith is hard.   I know.  I am the girl that is working on my 19th book, and 18 of those are unpublished.  I get it’s a challenge to constantly put in hard work and not know when the payout is coming.  But you can’t quit because you’d rather take the easy way.  You can’t stop just because you’re lazy.  You have to dig deep and push harder.  There is still value in hard work and the payout will be greater than you can imagine.  I would rather get to heaven one day and be able to say to God, “I did everything I knew to do.” rather than get there and say, “Yea, I just didn’t want to put for the effort.”

            What are you avoiding starting to work towards today?  Are you in the midst of the battle and wanting to quit?  Are you tired of not seeing the pay out that you have believed would be there one day and it hasn’t happened yet?

Galatians 6:9 (ESV) “And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.


            Reach for your destiny, work hard, and refuse to quit! 

            God has awesome plans for your life.  Get excited!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!