The Words I Would Say


Five years ago, when I first heard the song “The Words I Would Say” by the Sidewalk Prophets it was about the time my dear late Pastor (Pastor Arthur) moved in with Jesus. Here’s the link if you’ve never heard the song http://youtu.be/8t9u-LOa3OI
 Every time I hear it, I hear it as if he was giving me the same advice as in the song. 
I was thinking about this lately, and thinking about some of the large decisions that Dan and I have made both now and in our past.  I gave my life to the Lord when I was in the 3rd grade.  That was 27 years ago.  God called me in ministry when I was in the 7th grade which was 23 years ago.  I think that warrants me to have been around the things of God for a bit, and having said that learned some lessons along the way.  I haven’t arrived, but learned a bit.  I wanted to add some of my own points.
1)      When God tells you to do something, just do it.  Don’t overanalyze it.  When I think I’m getting something from the Lord I always respond to him, “If I know that I know that this is you God, then I’ll do it.  But I need to know for sure.”  Always have I gotten to this point God has found some way to confirm what I knew He was saying.  The problem with this is the second part of this….it’s the THEN, I’ll do it.  People get lost in this transition.  They over think it, it freaks them out, and they procrastinate on the doing it part.  Then they are frustrated at God because they aren’t seeing all the things God promised them.  Well, it goes both ways.  You need to do what God tells you to do.  Faith without words is absolutely dead! (James 2:26)
2)      When you are stepping into God’s path for your life, there will always be opposition.  Many get shocked by this, but really it should come as no surprise.  The devil NEVER plays fair.  Opposition often comes in various forms.  It can be circumstances.  It can be situations that will make you cry.  It can be in the negativity of people you dearly love. Don’t let it get in your head. You have to set your face like flint.  (Isaiah 50:7)  Once you know that you know what God has said, you can’t let these things shake you.  I have seen similar situations time and time again.  The proof is in the pudding.  You keep doing what God has said, and eventually circumstances settle. 
3)      When God tells you to do something, You have to step out in FAITH! If some of the steps you make in life don’t scare you because you know it’s bigger than you then I you’ve ever walked in faith.  God often calls people to do something bigger than them.  That way you know it’s him.  That way the world knows it was God through you that accomplished the work.  Dan and I have seen this happen time and time again.  We’ve seen where things looked impossible in the physical, but knew what God had said.  Often it wasn’t until we stepped out that we saw anything begin to manifest.  Are those steps scary to your flesh?  Absolutely!  But it’s in those times that we have grown the most.  So many people want these amazing miracle stories, but they aren’t willing to step out in the small steps.  You have to learn to walk before you learn to run!
4)      Don’t take everything so seriously.  God has an awesome sense of humor (Psalms 28:7), and as Pastor Arthur used to say, “He doesn’t want you going around like you’ve been weaned on a dill pickle.”  Remember to enjoy live.  Don’t sweat the small stuff.  Life is a gift. 
5)      God is more concerned about your end result than your immediate comfort.  Which means you’ll go through some uncomfortable seasons.  God sees the bigger picture and you have to trust that.  I’m not saying God brings on sickness, poverty and lack.  I can scripturally prove that train of thought, but what I am saying is that maturity in the Kingdom of God doesn’t mean you’ll always skip in a garden with theme music playing in the background.  I believe that many have missed their destinies on the earth because they didn’t expect the process to be so hard.  They didn’t realize ministry is often spelled W-O-R-K!  The Bible is clear that if you don’t work you don’t eat (2 Thess 3:10)  God isn’t your sugar daddy.  You have to be willing to do your part.
6)      Really, it’s not all about you! We often in world get so caught up in what God is saying or doing in our lives that we forget there is a lost and dying world out there.  My desire to get a book deal with movie rights (grin) can’t just be for my own gain, but the fact that God wants to use me to minister too many.  God needs the gospel to reach every corner of the world.  I have a job to do and everyone has to do their part.  One person cannot reach the same people another was uniquely fashioned to reach.  You have to do your job and stop thinking the world revolves around you.
7)      You have to learn to Trust God!  You must train your mind to keep it focused on the Word and what God has said.  Renew your mind.  (Romans 12:2)  I have often said that your mind is like training a wild animal.  Lasso that bucking horse with a rope and keep pulling it back when it wants to go into the depression self-pity trap.  You cannot let it go to the places of “What if?”  It’ll drive you bonkers.  Find what the word of God says about your situation and fix your eyes on God! 
I am sure that these seven points are not an exhaustive list, but it’s what God has given me for this moment.  I hope they are a blessing to you.  Trust that God has a bigger picture for your life.  We love you all.

God has awesome plans for your life.  Get excited.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!