You Mean It's Not All About Me?



            When I was a little girl I was notorious for thinking the world stopped on my birthday.  Really, in my mind, it should be a national holiday.  Perhaps one day it will be in the future (Grin).  I used to think that it should be one big day of party for me and my special day. I thought everyone I knew and love should stop what they were doing and throw a parade for me equipped with parades of helium balloons and giant cakes with people popping out of them. I remember however the day that all changed.  It was the year that my oldest daughter was born.  Her birthday is just a few days before mine.  I didn’t get a birthday cake and a serenade until much later that year.  I think Dan and I had gotten into a small argument, and most of our energy was spent on trying to be young parents.  It’s amazing how having children humbled me quickly. 
            In many ways over the years I think I’ve learned the following scripture the hard way…

Philippians 2:3 (ESV)

Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.
            I certainly haven’t arrived yet, nor am I perfect at it, but for me the pathway of maturity had to ring loudly in my ears.  I had to learn that life isn’t all about me.  While it’s fine to celebrate my birthday, I can’t expect the world to stop for me.  Life moves too quickly to focus on what other people are doing.  I know God rejoices the day I was born, so that’s all that really matters.  I’ve learned to appreciate the smaller things even if it’s just a hug and a well-wisher.
            I think we can easily get caught up in a rut thinking life is all about us.  It can be easy for all of us to get frustrated and annoyed when people don’t respond to us the way we want them to.    That annoyance just steals our joy, and robs us of the celebration in our own lives.  I’ve long since come to the conclusion that life isn’t all about me.  I’m so glad Jesus knew that His life wasn’t all about Him.  May we all learn from that.
            Tomorrow is my birthday.  I like what my father says, “I’m really not such and such years old but simply celebrating the anniversary of my 30th birthday a few years ago”.  Perhaps it’s not a national holiday yet, Grin.  But I feel so blessed.  This year I’m with my extended family.  This year we have embarked on a very new chapter in our lives, and I believe that this year stands out a significant year.  The word I keep hearing stirring in my spirit is ‘Momentum’.  I believe this isn’t just a word for me but for many of you as well.  I really feel some of you will read that and something inside of you will jump.  God is birthing Momentum to many of His people this day.
As I celebrate the anniversary of my 30th birthday, may you all remember that God has awesome plans for your life.  Get excited!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!