But What About Me?


            Last week I had a thought provoking conversation with my oldest daughter.  Let’s face it if you have two children you’ll learn early on how different the two of them are in their personalities.  I have one that will let the world dramatically know what is on her mind and another who will only declare her feelings when she must.  My oldest was annoyed because I was letting her sister do something I guess she would have wanted to do at her age and she asked me why I let her do something when she didn’t feel I would have let her do the same.
            “But did you ever ask me to do that?” I questioned.  What would I have said to my oldest 5 years ago if she would have wanted to do the same?
            “But you wouldn’t have let me.”  She stood her ground.  Honestly I don’t think there was anything I could say in this discussion that would have made her not be upset.  She was determined to think I was showing her sister favoritism.  Honestly if I was, that wasn’t my intention.
            “Babe if there is something you want, you have to ask.  I can’t read your mind.  I’m sorry if you feel that way” I think she grumpily conceded.  But the conversation reminded me of the oldest son in the story of the prodigal son.  It was the oldest that was annoyed that the youngest who had been horrible to their father was suddenly getting all the favor.  The oldest burned with irritation at the situation and finally the father says to him “‘Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours.(Luke 15:31b)
            People have this misguided view that God shows favoritism, but he doesn’t (Romans 2:11) God brings us all through times and seasons.  Sometimes it may appear one has more favor, but we have to realize God made us co-heirs with Christ Jesus (Romans8:17).  What is His is ours.  We have to know that.  We have to stop keeping our eyes on ourselves and be grateful when our brothers and sisters in the Lord triumph.  Your time is coming, and so is mine.  Trust God. Ask Him for what is on your heart.  Talk to Him!  God is a much better parent than I am, and even if maybe my oldest daughter did have a point, I know that God doesn’t do favorites. Trust Him with your life.  He’ll surprise you with what He can do through you.

            God has awesome plans for your life.  Get excited! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!