Is This What Your Church Looks Like?


            I took this picture while we were in Indy.  It’s the top section of the Scottish Cathedral and just found the picture kind of comical. I get that the church is trying to keep bird poo off their doors, and I get that they don’t want birds to hang out there.  Too many people in the world this is exactly what churches look like to them.  They won’t set foot in a church because they see people as abrasive people, or ones that would judge them if they knew the truth behind their smiles. 
            I recently started to be on a Greeters ‘Dream Team’ at our church. I firmly believe in needing to contribute to the church you’re in, and it was something I could do as we are still living so far from the church. As I thought about it, I thought about this picture.  How would I want to be treated if I just started to come to church and don’t know what to expect.  I’m new to our church having just moved in June to be here.  How would I have liked to have been treated on the first day? 
            The Bible has simple instructions when it says to “Do unto others as you would have them do to you? (Luke 6:31)  The words are often quoted yet seldom done.  We seem to all get caught in our own motions that we forget that there are people that sometimes just need a smile or reassuring hug. 
Somehow, I keep thinking about this picture when it comes to church growth in general.  I don’t believe this is my church at all, but in general, how can we all make our own churches not look like this?  Sometimes people will come in, hang out, and get spiritual “poo” all over. How can we all learn to love people regardless of the mess the make, and see past their exterior? 
This is just a random thought I’ve been thinking of late.  I hope you can think about it too, and think about what you can do so that your church doesn’t look like this.
God has awesome plans for your life.  Get excited!

*I’ve been writing these blogs for over five years now.  While I do still have plans to keep writing them, there are some changes that are going to be made.  It may not be as consistent, and instead of 2 times a week in may go down to 1.  I wanted to make that announcement just so people know I’m not slacking off.  I’m going to start mixing things up a bit.  Change is a good thing, and I feel led to break out of the typical 2 times a week way I’ve always done it.  Get excited.  I believe that God is doing great things in the body, and I believe for doorways to open up over my life and yours.  I love you all.  Super Smiles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!