But, I've been waiting at the top of the stairs for a REALLY long time!

We had this Christmas morning tradition at our house growing up. My mom and dad have a two story house and my sister and my bedroom was on the 2nd floor. On Christmas mornings we were not allowed to come down the stairs until my mom and dad had everything ready for us. My dad on Christmas morning often would have to snow plow the driveway. So until that was done we couldn’t come down the stairs. But my dad wouldn’t stop at just our driveway. He would often plow our next door neighbors and the next door neighbors. I can remember staring out the window in heated frustration, “Didn’t he understand it was Christmas morning?” He’ll tell you today he did this because the neighbors were elderly ladies who needed the help. That is true, but secretly I think he was just trying to mess with us. Our Christmas couldn’t start until he was ready. My mom and dad have pictures that will show the passage of time, year in and year out of my sister and I waiting at the top of the stairs.

Often times in your walk with God you can feel as if you’ve been waiting at the top of those stairs for a really long time. Especially in prophetic church because you may see bits and pieces of Christmas morning waiting for you, God might have even told you what some of your presents are, and until you get the okay you can’t come down the stairs.

Many of you who know me personally know that I’ve said numerous times that I’ve come to the conclusion that there is a reason patience is a fruit of the spirit. It’s because it doesn’t occur naturally, but it’s a supernatural work. There is also a reason why it’s called long suffering.

Romans 5:3 says, “There's more to come: We continue to shout our praise even when we're hemmed in with troubles, because we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us, and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next. In alert expectancy such as this, we're never left feeling shortchanged. Quite the contrary—we can't round up enough containers to hold everything God generously pours into our lives through the Holy Spirit!”

Patience teaches you, matures you, and gets you firmly planted on the rock of Christ Jesus. I think many people in the body of Christ feel that God is kind like my dad. That really God is just messing with you and picking on you as to why these things in your life haven’t happened yet. But that’s not God. God is just as excited as you are to tell you to come on down those steps and enjoy in the Christmas morning that He has planned for your life.

When things don’t happen in the timing you think they should, many issues could be going on. One, God needs to get you ready. As much as I cried and complained about God not releasing me into some things years ago I understand now why he didn’t. I wasn’t ready. I had to grow up. Did you know it was never God’s intention to make the Israelites roam around in the wilderness for 40 years. It was His will to get them right into the promise land. It was their disobedience and distrust in the Lord that got them to wander (Read Exodus). Two it can also just not be time. Ecclesiastes 3:1 says, To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven:” I honestly believe that God has such specific plans that it has to be His timing. Sometimes we are so busy thinking that all these other issues could and can be going on, but really it just could be a matter of timing.

Be at peace today. Know that God has such special plans for you. He will tell you to come down those stairs and enjoy your Christmas morning soon. I know the waiting is hard. I know that some days it can feel as if your banging your head against a wall. But God doesn’t want you frustrated. He wants you in peace, patience, gentleness and self control (Galatians 5:22). A thought occurred to me the other day. I had a frustrating few hours and I started to think if I got released into something would I feel like an idiot about the pity party I was throwing? The answer is Yes, I would.

It all comes down to trusting in Him people. Do you trust him that the Christmas present you’ve been waiting for is really at the bottom of those stairs. Because if you really know that you know it’s there you can be at peace and know God’s got everything under control. Trust Him. He’s a good daddy. Soon He will call out to you and say, “It’s Christmas morning, and I’ve been waiting for you to come down the stairs and enjoy it so get your behind down here, and let’s go!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!