Do You Have A Squishy Mailbox Pillow On Your Arms?

If you have followed my blogs for any length of time you have probably heard me tell part of this story before now. When I was in high school I was training to cheer for The Ohio State University, until I decided that I was going to get a standing back tuck on my own while on a carpeted concrete floor. Up until that point I could do with a spotter. It was not my brightest move to set up the video recorder as I rendered damage to my wrist. Which I will reiterate here I made the stunts, however at the very end of the tuck I came down and clipped my wrist several times.

What resulted was reconstructive wrist surgery at age 16. I have a metal plate six screws and a pin in my right wrist. In order to recover from that surgery they put me in a foam brace that I had to wear everywhere. The brace looked like an overgrown squishy mailbox. I had to wear on my arm for probably a month after I returned to school. While I did not appreciate having to wear it, if I would not have worn it I am not sure how I would have gotten through going back to school. My arm needed something to rest on, and it needed the protection. I would not have been able to give it the protection and rest it needed with out the overgrown pillow for support.

In Exodus 17:10-13 Moses had to keep his arms up too.
10 So Joshua fought the Amalekites as Moses had ordered, and Moses, Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill. 11 As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. 12 When Moses’ hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up—one on one side, one on the other—so that his hands remained steady till sunset. 13 So Joshua overcame the Amalekite army with the sword.


Moses needed his friends to be his squishy mailbox pillow. He needed people to come around him so that the had the strength to endure keeping his arms up.

Often we get a sad misconception in the church that we do not need each other. Sure we would never come out and say such a thing, but we live our lives in our own little bubbles and rarely let others in. That is not what God intended. God put us around each other to make each other better.

Proverbs 27:17As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

We need each other in this Christian walk. There will be times someone will say something to you that is exactly what you needed to hear to get yourself right with God. There are times you need your brothers and sisters in the Lord to surround you and be your squishy mailbox pillow. They help you keep your arms up when they grow tired. Remember that we cannot be islands unto ourselves. We need each other.

Try to reach out to people today. You can be someone’s squishy mailbox pillow. I know I could list several here who have been that in my life, and they have made such a difference. Let God use you to make a difference. Whom can you encourage today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!