Is The Alarm Still Sounding?

Several years ago our dear late pastor, Pastor Lee, invited my family and I the use of their pool while he and his wife were out of town. I was told how to get in the backyard and in case of emergency, ie one of my kids having to go to the bathroom, how to get in the house. It was such a nice offer we gladly packed the girls up and went to pastors house for a swim. I wanted to make sure that we wouldn’t actually go in the house. However, knowing kids, as soon as we got in the water my oldest had to go to the bathroom.

After some trial and error we opened the door to the house, and an suddenly an alarm started to sound. We’d been swimming at their house before I was sure it was the children’s alarm, but after pushing the button we couldn’t get it off. That’s when panic started to seize Dan and I. Dan was sure it was the house alarm. He was convinced the police were going to show up. I tried to explain to him that even if they did it wasn’t that we were doing anything wrong. Chaos became contagious. We quickly locked the house back up. Dan started gathering up all our belongings. He was taking a mad dash to the car. I was sure the neighbors were watching us to figure out what we were doing.

Once we got in the car reason told us we should call pastor on his cell. But we didn’t have a cell phone at the time, and all of our change had been left on their back patio flung out of our short pockets when we hurriedly made a mad dash to the car. In desperation we decided to drive about two miles to other friends home to see if they were home and we could call from their house. We showed up at the friends doorstep wet, in our bathing suits and laughing hysterically at our panic.

When we finally got pastor on the phone, after he was done laughing explaining it was the child alarm and what we’d done wrong, he insisted we go back and shut it off. So we braved the neighbors’ stares once again, and drove back to fix what we’d done. We ended up having an enjoyable evening in their pool, and a story we still laugh about.

There are times in life where we have to go back and fix what we’ve done before we can move forward. It didn’t matter how silly the neighbors’ thought we looked or the crazy stares we got, but we had to go back and shut the alarm off. In turn there are also times we can’t go back and fix things, but when we can I believe we have to try.

In Genesis 12:11-20 Abraham lies about Sarah being his wife and eventually he had to fess up to the truth.

Psalm 25:9 (AMP)He leads the humble in what is right, and the humble He teaches His way

Proverbs 29:23 (AMP)
A man's pride will bring him low, but he who is of a humble spirit will obtain honor.

Times happen in life where you might need to go back to a situation and humble yourself to make it right. I can remember one time in particular in my life where I’d given my word on a matter and didn’t end up doing what I said I would. Years later the Lord instructed me to do what I’d spoken and I did. Sometimes “fixing” can be as simple as an apology, a repayment of funds, or maybe fulfilling a vow you’d made.

Remember if your feeling you have to go back and make things right, that’s cool! Because humbling yourself will catapult you forward. At the end of the day do you want to be a person who went out of their way to please God? Or pleased man?

Building character on the inside of you is never easy. But it’s always worth it. God loves you, and He’s excited about your future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!