Confessions from my College Years




When I went to Ohio State University I lived on the 23rd floor of Morrill Tower for a year. If you can see the picture it’s the closest tower in the background. One of my favorite memories from college was a couple friends and I once snuck into the Horseshoe Stadium. It had been the first snow of the year, and a magical crisp feeling lay like fog above our heads. The sky though dark radiated like a majestic wonder around us. The gate hadn’t even been locked and we found ourselves out on the football field. As I walked out into the famous field I felt so small. The snow began to fall and it was a moment that if I could capture it in an image, I would. It’s this memory that often when I think of fall and football I find myself nostalgically remembering as if it’s a snuggly blanket on that chilly night.

When Dan and I moved to FL, I had this idea in my head that it would only be for five years. We are nearing our eleven year mark. While I still maintain we’ll be here for a season, we refuse to leave until we know God is calling us to do so, and even when that time comes I’m not sure where He’ll send us. I confess that I miss the changing of the season. I miss being locationally close to my family, I miss cold football games with the smell of changing leaves in the air and hot chocolate so hot that it burns your tongue. However I don’t miss all the cold and mushy snow.

This morning I put this on my facebook status, “You cannot judge God's will by your level of comfort. While His will is always worth it, it's rarely comfortable. Too many people are saying they want His will but are really trying to justify their own choices.” I’ve watched too many people leave God’s plan for their lives and try to justify it by their own feelings. Sometimes we can be in uncomfortable places, but it’s in the moments that lack the comfort is when we grow the most. Look at the diamond, or even a cake. Without the pressure a diamond will always stay a chunky piece of carbon or coal. Without the heat the cake would only be batter. God sees our end from our beginnings and knows what is best for your life, even if it’s uncomfortable. He’s more concerned for your destiny than your level of comfort.

Jeremiah 29:11 (AMP)
For I know the thoughts and plans that I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts and plans for welfare and peace and not for evil, to give you hope in your final outcome.

God’s plans are good for you, even if for a season their uncomfortable and you wonder. Later He has a way to make everything make sense, and you’ll look back and thank the Lord that you went through the season you did. Moses was in exile for 40 years before he went back to Egypt, Joseph was sold into slavery and went through a lot so that he could help save the Israelites from starvation during a famine, and Jesus was brutally murdered on the cross so that well all might get the chance to go to heaven. Every moment in our lives may not be as idealistic and nostalgic as me watching it snow from the OSU football field, but His plans are always worth it! Remember He does have awesome plans for your life, so whether you see fruit from that yet or not, Get excited! Choose to live in His perfect will! Just as Psalm 30:5 says, “Joy comes in the morning!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!