Flashcard Cheating

Recently I was reminded of a story with my sister and me while I was growing up. My sister and I are six years apart. I remember having a horrible time with learning my math figures. Math has never been my gifting. I can remember spending hours looking at flashcards and several educational things my mother purchased to help me learn my times tables. I was told that my aunt remembers my sister was setting on her couch trying to go through my flashcards with me. She remembers that I was setting somewhat high on the couch but could hear my sister and me talking.

“Wow you’re doing much better Ann.” My sister would encourage me as we went through the flash cards. My aunt heard me go through a few more, and then suddenly, “You’re cheating!”

“But it’s easier!” I yelled.

I guess I figured out how I could see the back of the cards and instead of actually learning the math figures, I was looking at the answers. While I had a point it might have been easier to cheat it was not helping me in the end. The cheating was only a short cut. However, I promise if I did not learn them when I went to take the test I would not do so well.

I think many take this approach subtly in life, and then wonder why things did not work out the way that they thought they would. For the years I continued to write and no one professionally would give a me the time of day, I was asked often why I didn’t just self publish. For me that would have been cheating. I am not saying all self-publishing is, but I knew that was an attempt of a short cut, and it was not God’s will for me.

When David faced Goliath the Bible says he boldly declares to the giant “he fought the lion and fought the bear” so he knew he could take Goliath down. (1Sam 17). When the rain started to cascade and Noah and his family were in the boat, what would have happened if Noah had decided to take the easy route…what if he would have had a moment of doubt and maybe did not tar a section of the boat and as a result, the boat started to fill with water? Short cuts for the ark would have meant we would not have been here, cause that boat would have sank.

God wants to teach us things in life, and if we are always trying to cheat or find the easy button, we will not be ready for what lies ahead. We will not be prepared. We have to trust that God knows what He is doing and even if the road your on now seems a bit redundant. God knows what He is doing.

Proverbs 10:4 (NIV)
Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth.


Be diligent in whatever and wherever God has called you to be on this earth. I promise you that eventually it will be worth it. Even the smallest of things can later turn into what lead to some of the biggest breakthroughs of your life. Trust Him! Remember God has awesome plans for your life. Get excited!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!