Not Listening?




As many of you know a few weeks ago my family and I drove across the country for the holidays. As any long road trip it soon became full of its own adventure. Truthfully the way there wasn’t too bad. We took three days to get there because we stopped and visited a few people on the way. It was the way back, when we drove it straight through that I was again saying to Dan we need a jet plane.

My oldest daughter was setting in the backseat of the SUV with her DS taking pictures along the way. She was getting very annoyed with us because she wanted to get a picture of all the states “Welcome To” signs, so I started trying to tell her where they were whenever we were going to pass them.

On our way into Michigan I said to the girls, “Look there is the sign. We’re in Michigan! Look! Look! Look!” I was sure they heard me. We were nearing the Canada border and all was well.

About ten minutes later I heard a “MOM!” from the back seat of the car. “We’re in Michigan! Why didn’t you tell me?” Really? I had gone out of my way to make sure I told them. This was one of those moments I started to ask myself as a parent why do I bother talking sometimes? Do they just always tune me out?

Dan piped up, “Ann, we’re in Michigan?” He was joking but at that moment I didn’t find him funny.

Do you ever wonder if God has moments where he feels the same thing? Maybe He’s tried to tell His children something a dozen and a half times and they aren’t listening. Sometimes, myself included, we get so caught up in what we think we know, that we stop listening for God’s voice on the matter. We figure we can do it our way, but yet get frustrated at God when it doesn’t work out.

I can’t imagine going through life and not hearing the voice of God.

John 10:27(NIV)27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.

Isaiah 30:21(NIV)21 Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.”


God longs to tell His children things. He longs to give you direction, but you have to stop doing everything your own way. You have to stop tuning Him out and start tuning Him in. I think about a radio. It’s as if many Christians live their lives with the wrong station on. They wonder why they can’t hear God’s voice, but their daily worries and life seems to be yelling louder than God. Tuning back into the God’s voice station is easy. Jesus was always finding time to get alone with God when He was on the earth. Sometimes you have to lock yourself in a room, turn off the distractions, and seek the voice of God. While His voice does come across booming at times, often it’s a still small voice where unless you find the time to get away you won’t be able to hear Him. (1Kings 19:12) Tune into God, and what He is saying! You’ll be happy you did. Remember He has awesome plans for your life. Get excited!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!