But really the dress fits me!

Yesterday my youngest daughter insisted I let her wear a dress that is a hand me down from her sister. I took one look at it and knew it was way too big for her. She pleaded and pestered.

Finally I said “Ok, just try it on and then we’ll talk.” In my head this little inch of giving in was going to prove to her that it was way too big for her. In her mind it was just an excuse to pester further. I wasn’t about to let her in public looking like that. The dress was at least four sizes too big. I could see the frustration bubble up inside of her. “Hunny it really doesn’t fit you.” I could see it sagging on top of her clothes.

“But when will it fit me?” She whined.

“Maybe in a year?” Really I was exaggerating. Maybe in a few years is more like it.

“So next week?” She pleaded.

“No dear. Maybe in a year.”

“So maybe by my birthday?”

I watched her pleading with me. She wanted to be big enough to wear the dress. But she just isn’t yet. Then something like a light switch went off in my head. How many times do we do the same thing to God?

“God I’m ready to do what you called me to do. I’m ready now.”

“Soon.” He replies.

“Ok next week?”

He sees us there like a parent to a child. We look cute wearing our father’s jacket and its way too long and doesn’t fit. He sees out frustration but knows we’re just going to have to wait. All our begging and pleading gets us nowhere but frustrated.

The truth is we’ll grow into that calling or gifting when it’s time. It’s in our DNA. God put it there. One day it will be time. It’s inevitable if we keep doing what we’re supposed to be doing, and no amount of wanting to be larger or more grown up will get us there any faster. We can’t skip over the process.

Galatians 6:9 (NKJV) And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart

Due season is coming. The right clothing will fit, but we can’t lose our focus. Enjoy the season of life that you’re in. Life is too short to spend it frustrated. He does have awesome plans for your life. Get Excited!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!