I Dove for the Phone, Hit my Foot On the Dresser, and Broke My Foot!




            I’m from a small town in Ohio.  I just did a Google search and it’s about 36,000 people.  When I was a kid I was known by name in the orthopedic office.  I was breaking something, twisting something, falling off something on a semi regular basis.  So much so I briefly considered a career path in sports medicine. 
            I don’t remember if I told this story yet or not, but I was just thinking about it.  One time I dove to get the phone that was on the headboard of the bed.  I was in my bedroom and my foot flung out and smashed into the dresser.  I landed with a plop on the waterbed, picked up the phone, and screamed because I knew I’d hurt myself.  As it turned out I did.  I broke the side of my foot.
            My friends had a field day with this one.  They kept joking that I’d ran for the dresser and hit my foot on the phone, or that I’d ran for the bed and hit my foot on the headboard.  I had heard so many false stories, all in good humor, by the time I got to the doctor he asked me what I did and I said, “I dove for the dresser and hit my foot on the phone.”  I knew the truth.  I knew that wasn’t the truth but I was so used to hearing the falsehood, that is what I repeated.
            People often forget how important words are on the earth.  God spoke (Genesis 1:1) and the world was formed.  Jesus said to speak to the mountain and it would be removed (Mark 11:23).  Life and death are in the power of the tongue (Proverbs 18:21).
            However many people know this, they aren’t speaking falsehoods out loud, BUT they are speaking them to themselves internally.  In a footnote of Proverbs 23:7 it says as a man thinks so is he. 
            Recently I have found myself wallowing in a mire of negative thinking.  I hate to admit it but it’s true.  My family is praying for a lot of different things right now, there is a lot of transition going on, and I’ve found myself focusing on the negative.  I know it’s wrong.  I know I need to catch myself from doing it.  Just a few days ago the Lord led me to watch a documentary.  It was on a completely different issue, and I confess that I wanted to turn the channel.  However later in the piece the lady started talking about positive thinking.  She said to look in the mirror and say to yourself, “I accept myself unconditionally right now.”  Something in that really clicked for me.  It may sound silly to some, but I knew all this false and negative thoughts had been clouding my vision, and the question became was I going to speak the truth over the matter or am I going to hear so much false thinking that I’ll repeat the lie.
            You have to remember that no matter the frustration, circumstance, or lack of sleep God loves you and He has such awesome plans for your life.  We all go through trials, but be of good cheer.  He has overcome the world! 

Philippians 4:8 (ESV)Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

What you think on, is a CHOICE.  Will you repeat the truth, focus on the truth, run for the truth, or will you repeat the lie?
            Remember He DOES have awesome plans for your life.  Get excited.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!